Why do eBay's policies now favour deadbeat buyers?

Firstly, let me admit that I'm a minor buyer/seller on eBay, but a recent bad experience while selling has made me wonder why eBay has changed its policies to marginalise honest sellers and at the same time protect deadbeat buyers. When I first bought on eBay (in 2001), it was made clear to me that any bid I made was binding. A recent selling experience has turned that around because it is now apparent that eBay is going out of its way to protect buyers with dishonest bidding practices.

Specifically: a bidder can win an auction and then refuse to pay. When that happens, it now turns out that I (as a seller) have no recourse to leave a negative feedback rating and comment – something that used to be a quintessential part of the eBay feedback system (both to warn other sellers, and to encourage correct bidding practices). Also, as a seller, it now seems that I'm not entitled to see the feedback profile of a bidder who decides to keep their feedback profile "Private". To be honest, that's staggering (compared with how eBay used to be in the early days). At the very least, as a buyer, I should be able to reject a bid from any buyer with a private feedback profile.

TO EBAY: I'm officially finished with selling on eBay – at least until you fix these inequities and return the system to the way it was. Namely, that bidding (by buyers with transparent feedback profiles), is honest and binding. I realise that I'm a minor player, but please understand that I'm going to add my voice to social media outlets, and personal contacts by repeating loudly and often that eBay should now be avoided as a tool for selling.

Message 1 of 78
Latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

Andrew - all due respect - this topic has been done to death

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/EBAY-NEADS-TO-REVISE-THERE-FEEDBACK-REGULATIONS-SELLARS-FORM...

Just one of probably 1000 similar posts and visible just below where you posted this. Read through the boards and you will realise why negatives are no longer able to be given to buyers and the experienced members reactions to same.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 2 of 78
Latest reply

Hi Mr 2106greencat.

Perhaps the 1,001 th complaint will get eBay's attention? If not, then I'm proud to add my vote to the eventaul number of complaints that will get their attention.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Message 3 of 78
Latest reply

Only problem with that unfortunately is that eBay don't read here...

you can send suggestions to them though, I just can't rmember how at the moment - should be able to find it on the site map I think.

Good luck, let us know how you go Smiley Wink

BTW - it's Ms. greencat

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 4 of 78
Latest reply

Andrew, you can send an opinion through on the tell us what you think link at the bottom of the page.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 5 of 78
Latest reply

Multiple apologies Ms. greencat.

Your reply has made me realise that mine is a rant without possible result; but I'm not detered in my quest.

Cheers,

Andrew (aka Mr D. Quixote)

Message 6 of 78
Latest reply

Spoiler

@andrewjens wrote:

Firstly, let me admit that I'm a minor buyer/seller on eBay, but a recent bad experience while selling has made me wonder why eBay has changed its policies to marginalise honest sellers and at the same time protect deadbeat buyers. When I first bought on eBay (in 2001), it was made clear to me that any bid I made was binding. A recent selling experience has turned that around because it is now apparent that eBay is going out of its way to protect buyers with dishonest bidding practices.

Specifically: a bidder can win an auction and then refuse to pay. When that happens, it now turns out that I (as a seller) have no recourse to leave a negative feedback rating and comment – something that used to be a quintessential part of the eBay feedback system (both to warn other sellers, and to encourage correct bidding practices). Also, as a seller, it now seems that I'm not entitled to see the feedback profile of a bidder who decides to keep their feedback profile "Private". To be honest, that's staggering (compared with how eBay used to be in the early days). At the very least, as a buyer, I should be able to reject a bid from any buyer with a private feedback profile.

TO EBAY: I'm officially finished with selling on eBay – at least until you fix these inequities and return the system to the way it was. Namely, that bidding (by buyers with transparent feedback profiles), is honest and binding. I realise that I'm a minor player, but please understand that I'm going to add my voice to social media outlets, and personal contacts by repeating loudly and often that eBay should now be avoided as a tool for selling.

I would like to know why Ebay supports sellers who have constant negative feedback .
Spoiler

Message 7 of 78
Latest reply

>I would like to know why Ebay supports sellers who have constant negative feedback .

I would like to know why your point is relevant to my original post?

Message 8 of 78
Latest reply

mmm, a bid is only binding once it has been accepted. Until that time it can be withdrawn. However once accepted, it is binding and if it is the winning bid, is then actually a contract which can be enforced like any other contract.

and you can reject a bid from anyone you like, private feedbackers included. Just as a buyer can withdraw a bid prior to acceptance, a seller can also reject the bid prior to acceptance (that's law, nothing to do with eBay, and that's been the law for a few hundred years)

We've got something way better than the neg feedbacks of the past for sellers, but I'll leave that to someone else to fill you in on.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 9 of 78
Latest reply

@diamond-halo wrote:

We've got something way better than the neg feedbacks of the past for sellers, but I'll leave that to someone else to fill you in on.

NPD's................strikes...............blocks.................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 78
Latest reply