Why does ebay keep letting scammers buy from me!?

Literally. It's so dumb

Problem:
People are buying my items with 0 rep (happened 8 times so far, 2 being auction, 6 being buy now) then not paying up

People are buying from USA (their account even says based in America) even though i clearly put no international postage, and they dont pay up anyway

This is easily fixable? How?

1. Don't let international people buy products I am only selling WITHIN MY COUNTRY. I thought that was obvious...

2. Have a setting that disallows people with 0 feedback to buy your products unless they pay instantly.

But even then, some scammers i have got have 3 rep, 8 rep, and most recently suprisingly 223 feedback (though, only like 10 in the last 12 months). I assume this guy was hacked or something...

What happens and how do I know they are a scammer?

1. They never pay up, even after weeks, or they re-tract their buying (ebay says it was "someone else bought this without the users permission so the purchase has been retracted", leading me not even to report and unpaid item or anything..

2. They send me personal emails off ebay asking me to ship it, after sending fake paypal confirmation emails. Also after them being based in USA, they tell me to ship to Africa

So please fix this. Please ebay. I have so many stupid **bleep** in my seller dashboard and im getting tired of it...

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BIN - Buy it now or fixed priced listing with Immediate payment required.

Setting blocks - In account - site prefs - buyer requirements.

If you get a non payer, 4 days after sale open an Unpaid Item Case, close it 4 days later, you get fees back, buyer gets a strike and relist.

The rest you will just need to read in selling yourself. Site map, bottom of pages.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I think the question should be why are you allowing scammers to buy from you?

Seriously, didn't it ring any bells with you when the buyer asked you to send the items to Africa....I suppose it was Nigeria?

Just saying you will not sell overses is not enough.  You need to set the listing up to stop overseas buyers being able to bid.

Even if you could block 0 feedback buyers they can overule those blocks by being phone verified.

You would be far better off if you set your listings up as BIN with immediate payment required....that way you can not have any nonpayers.  The item i either sold and paid for or not sold at all.

Message 2 of 43
Latest reply

1. You need to set your blocks properly.

2. If they are not phone verified, you need to set your blocks properly.

1. Don't give them weeks. Give them the 4 + 4 days eBay allows.

2. Don't be conned by phishers. And set your blocks to exclude international.

You have the ability to block these sorts of sellers. As you seem to have chosen not to, your problems are caused by you.

Message 3 of 43
Latest reply

what the hell is a BIN. Im australian

I already have it set in my listings that i only ship to Australia and not international postage. I wouldnt say that if i didnt.
Message 4 of 43
Latest reply

1. How?
2. How?

3. I don't, i give them like a week or asap until i can report unpaid
4. I don't get conned lmao.

Please tell me how to block these sellers. Dunno why ur saying "oh u should know how" then not explaining how 😕

Message 5 of 43
Latest reply

BIN - Buy it now or fixed priced listing with Immediate payment required.

Setting blocks - In account - site prefs - buyer requirements.

If you get a non payer, 4 days after sale open an Unpaid Item Case, close it 4 days later, you get fees back, buyer gets a strike and relist.

The rest you will just need to read in selling yourself. Site map, bottom of pages.

image host
Message 6 of 43
Latest reply

@bladerunner365 wrote:
what the hell is a BIN. Im australian

I already have it set in my listings that i only ship to Australia and not international postage. I wouldnt say that if i didnt.

If you don't know what a BIN listing is then why/how did you list 2 other items that way?  The point I was making was that you needed to have Buy It Now with Immediate Payment required to stop buyers hitting the button but not paying.

You actually need to block overseas buyers from being able to buy from you.  Just stating that you do not ship internationally is not enough to stop them from buying.

Message 7 of 43
Latest reply

@bladerunner365 wrote:

1. How?
2. How?

3. I don't, i give them like a week or asap until i can report unpaid
4. I don't get conned lmao.

Please tell me how to block these sellers. Dunno why ur saying "oh u should know how" then not explaining how 😕

1. What kopes said

2. What kopes said

3. i'm going on your claim of weeks. If you don't give accurate information, we can't give accurate advice. Hyperbole doesn't actually help.

4. Then it's not a problem.

The site map is provided for a reason. It is to allow members, in this case sellers, to apprise themselves of how the site works. You SHOULD know, as you should have taken the time to work out how this place works.

Message 8 of 43
Latest reply

.......................and you're also selling some of the most scam-prone items on eBay.................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 43
Latest reply

There is no option for buy it now. All i have is fixed price and acution

Also its just stupid that you have to block buyers. I literally put in my listing the no international postage option (i dont state it, its literally in the listing to decide to ship locally or international) so it should never be able to buy from overseas tho.

Message 10 of 43
Latest reply