Why sellers have to pay the return costs?

When you buy a product from shop or online store and it has to be returned under warranty for repair or replacement you don't get paid for your time, petrol or shipping costs to return. Same should apply on Ebay.

What an unjust sick policy to ask sellers to cover buyer's return costs.

Especially if seller's policy states that return postage is payable by buyer.

If buyer accepts the terms of sale by making the purchase then that's it. Buyer should pay for return.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If the item arrives broken or not as described why should the buyer be out of pocket for someone else's mistake?

If you buy from a B & M store then you will not have the problem and any online businesses I have bought from do offer free return postage for any problems.

If it is a change of mind return then the buyer does pay.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

What an unjust sick policy to ask buyers to cover return costs when they have not received what they paid for..

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

What an unjust sick policy to ask buyers to cover return costs when they have not received what they paid for..

well said.jpegwell said  !

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

I'm talking about warranty returns and not if buyers receive wrong or DOA items. You're missing the point.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Maybe you need to elaborate more on what the issue with the item is, so we don't "miss the point".

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

When you buy a product from shop or online store and it has to be returned under warranty for repair or replacement you don't get paid for your time, petrol or shipping costs to return. Same should apply on Ebay.

What point don't you get? ........

Spoiler
Reckon I know the answer to that
Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

The point that eBay is a law unto themselves, mayhaps.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

what you call warranty return i would call faulty item(Not As Described)

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

@technomart_rbgs wrote:

Two things - comparing eBay scenarios to traditional, bricks n' mortar scenarios is problematic, in that it's basically saying "this doesn't happen in these specific circumstances, therefore it shouldn't be allowed to happen in completely different circumstances".

The other thing is, (and this is taken directly from the ACCC website):

"You are entitled to return a product if you believe that there is a problem. You are generally responsible for returning the product if it can be posted or easily returned. You are entitled to recover reasonable postage or transportation costs from the business if the product is confirmed to have a problem, so keep your receipts."

That means (just to contradict my first point some, though I still feel it's perfectly valid) whether a buyer purchases from eBay or a retail outlet, they can ultimately get the seller to cover the cost of returning the product for repairs; the thing eBay does differently is they get the seller to pay for it up front, while traditionally the seller gets to confirm the product is faulty and/or comes under warranty first. 

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply