Will I be punished for refusing pick up?

minimim
Community Member

I recently sold an item through auction. The winning bidder asked me questions throughout the auction with no problems.

However, after the auction ended the buyer contacted me asking to pay cash on pick up. 

I told the buyer that I can not offer pick up but if they wanted to, they can come and pick it up from me.

The buyer then responded that they refuse to pay the shipping charge, and that local pick up was never specified. 

I never specified pick up was available at all.

I proceeded to tell the buyer that I will refund the shipping difference and received a response saying that they have contacted ebay.

Can ebay do anything in regards to suspending my account, etc?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

No,

You are in charge of your auction under your terms, not the buyers terms, you did nothing wrong, if i were you i would refuse local pick-up as it was not offered, if the buyer is not happy with your terms the buyer should not have purchased that item, maybe ask the buyer to cancel the sale (only if you want to) else the buyer has an obligation to pay for the item and posting costs

end of story.

good luck with it, i know there are some weird folks out there in this world and we all come accross them now and then.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

No,

You are in charge of your auction under your terms, not the buyers terms, you did nothing wrong, if i were you i would refuse local pick-up as it was not offered, if the buyer is not happy with your terms the buyer should not have purchased that item, maybe ask the buyer to cancel the sale (only if you want to) else the buyer has an obligation to pay for the item and posting costs

end of story.

good luck with it, i know there are some weird folks out there in this world and we all come accross them now and then.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

I'm trying to understand this. The buyer wants free postage ? is that correct ?

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks! Yeah, I'm not too sure where the buyer thinks they're going with this hahaha
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

I'm honestly not sure. The item packaged weighs around 4-5kg, I can only offer it so cheap before I end up paying for shipping!
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

I'm sorry I can't offer any advice here but I just want to say isn't it terrible that we Sellers are so worried all of the time about being punished nowadays?

When you think about it, it's a shocking situation that we find ourselves in when we pay so much in fees to an orgnisation that should be here to SERVE US, but instead has us shaking in fear of being punished because we want to run our Businesses the way we see fit & make a profit.

It's really an upside down Pyramid isn't it????

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

However, after the auction ended the buyer contacted me asking to pay cash on pick up. 

I told the buyer that I can not offer pick up but if they wanted to, they can come and pick it up from me.

The buyer then responded that they refuse to pay the shipping charge, and that local pick up was never specified. 

I never specified pick up was available at all.

I proceeded to tell the buyer that I will refund the shipping difference and received a response saying that they have contacted ebay.

Can ebay do anything in regards to suspending my account, etc?

----------------------------------------------

I'm a bit confused here.

Are you saying that although you never offered pick up in the ad, you agreed they could come and pick it up from you if they wanted to save on postage costs?

But that they now don't want  to do that because the ad never told them they would have to, but they don't want to pay the shipping charge either? What a hide they have!!

The ad would have told them the shipping charge before they bid.

What did they think was going to happen, that you might drop it off to them for nothing?

If they aren't happy with the postage cost and also refuse to pick up the item, I am not sure I would be asking for a cancellation, I would put in an unpaid item dispute. That way, if they don't pay and they lose the dispute, they can't go and give you neg feedback, or if they do, you can get it removed.

If it makes you feel any better, I am trying to sell a bedroom suite on gumtree at the moment, pick up only, and you would be surprised at the number of people who say they would like to buy it, but they live 50km away (with toll ways along the way, mind you), will I deliver? And not a word of paying a cent for delivery costs.

There are some cheeky people out there!!

I feel like saying, yes, sure, I'll pack it in the boot of my little corolla and bring it straight over.Woman Tongue

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

I am with springy 100%

I would open NPB dispute, close it in 4 days, and this idiot will get strike, you get your fvf back, and relist.

Add this person to your BBL now, don't wait.

Doubtful they know anything about eBay if they think they can force you into changing the terms of your listed item, and does not sound to me like they are the sort who will pay on your terms.

Once you close the dispute siting payment still not recevied - they can not leave you feedback, and iif they do, eBay will remove it with a simple call from you.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

I too am confused, do you mean you are happy for them to pick up or not, if they are picking up then why would you complain about them paying cash? Even if you had sold it with free postage you could tell the buyer you will knock $x dollars off, if you charged postage just reinvoice with it removed and you won't pay a fvf on the postage cost.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

If it was the laptop, it was offered for auction at $50 postage.   From the OP's posts, I gather he is willing to refund any excess postage after payment.  

There is no offer for pickup.   I don't know what the buyer is playing at.

The good news is there were plenty of bids.    Open a non-paying dispute.   Wait 4 days.   Close dispute.   Offer it to the second bidder.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply