Won Auction and seller wants more money?

Hi all,

Today I was the winning bidder on an auction from a private seller. It was a cash on pick up item. After leaving contact details for the seller, they have called and said they are not happy with the price and want $100 more. It was an auction with a buy it now of $500 that went to auction. My end bid was just over $200. We have explained that she is obligated to sell at the auction price, and she has said "we will talk about it".

Any advice about what would be appropriate for us to do please?

Thank you,

Jenn

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Make it quite clear & firm before pick up day that you will only pay the amount you won the auction with. Seller is contravening eBay policies asking you to pay a higher price.

Seller may want to cancel the sale, if so, don't agree to any sale cancellation notices seller sends you via eBay (they won't get their ebay selling fees refunded for the item you bought) plus they should get a defect from eBay for 'no longer willing to sell'. I think you can still leave feedback (negative?) for a cancelled transaction too.

You won't get the item, if sale is cancelled but you can have an effect on sellers perfomance standards if they renege on the sale.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

As am3 said do NOT agree to cancel sale, the seller is obliged to sell it to you at the fall of hammer price providing there was no reserve. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Thank you for taking time to help. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Thank you. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Don't be bullied into paying more than your winning bid. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Thank you again for your help. I have written a longer post on the other thread I started on the buying section (did not realise I only needed to do one), but the upshot is that after some careful communication, it appears the seller is going to do the right thing. I will let you know how it turns out. Again, many thanks for your time. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Thats great to hear.

However, Sellers like this are runing this platform for the rest of us who strive to to the right thing ALL the time & care about the service & satisfaction of our buyers.

There has to be a better way of dealing with unscrupulous Sellers & Buyers than the current inadequate system.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

The listing has been picked up successfully, and we paid the fall of hammer price only. No help was given to carry the furniture at all, but they were polite apparently. (I was not there)

Your ideas on appropriate feedback? I have no desire to leave negative feedback as the seller is new, and did honour the sale after some careful discussion. Usually my feedback is very positive, and that would not be truthful in this instance. I do wish to be very diplomatic however, and do not want to write anything bad.

Thank you again. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Easy answer, don't leave any feedback - that way the newbie seller doesn't get bad feedback and doesn't get their DSR's trashed. 

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply