Worldwide Advertising

Dear fellow eBayers I have a question for you:

Let's suppose you find that a specific item you are selling is in high demand in a specific country.

Your next step is to find ways of advertising your item in that country.

Unfortunately you find out that all the ad services in that country only allow ads to be posted IF you are located in that same country.

With advertising in mind how do you proceed?

How do you manage to reach specific potential customers in specific countries?

Much obliged in advance for all your insights.

All the best.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Worldwide Advertising

Go here and tick all the boxes of countries you don't wish to post to. If you tick the top box it selects all boxes in that region. The countries you do want to post to, leave them unticked. When you create a listing, add international postage. By rights, it should only show in the countries you wish to sell you. Other countries will probably see "will not post to <buyers country>" or "may post to <buyers country>, ask seller for postage cost".

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Worldwide Advertising

Thank you for your answer.
But what I want is something different. I want to advertise my ebay items OUTSIDE ebay. 🙂

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Worldwide Advertising

Then why ask on the ebay forums?

How would you expect us to know how you can advertise in other countries if it is nothing to do with ebay?

If a country will not allow advertising unless you are resident in that country I cannot see a way round those restrictions.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Worldwide Advertising

Thank you for your answer, lyndal1838.
The fact that I want to advertise my eBay items answers your first question.
With so many eBayers on this community, who knows, someone has some ideas on advertising their eBay items on external sites. 🙂
Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Worldwide Advertising

Possibly there are members who do know, but what you are wanting to do sounds like it may be illegal to do in that country so the chances of someone advising you aren't high.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Worldwide Advertising

You can obtain an address in the US (and maybe other countries) by creating an account with a re-shipping company.

I have 2 addresses in the US which I use for purchases on ebay where the seller won't ship to other countries.

Basically the item is sent by the seller to my US address and then they forward it to me in Australia (for a fee of course)

Perhaps if you had an address in the country it might form te basis of being able to advertise (and you could use it to forward any mail/parcels).

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Worldwide Advertising

What about Facebook? If you can find a 'friend' there they might be willing to plug your ebay items for you.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

Worldwide Advertising

It's pretty simple really.  Build, or have built for you, a website and have it hosted by a big hosting company which is reliable.

List your items on the website with a link to your individual listings on ebay.   Easy peasy!

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Worldwide Advertising

@alexis-shop wrote:
 I want to advertise my ebay items OUTSIDE ebay. 🙂

The answer is actually a lot more simple than you might first think...

1. Find appropriate US-centric third-party sites

2. Buy advertising or ask for product reviews on those sites

3. ??????

4. Profit!

Sorry, couldn't resist meme-ifying the reply, but in all seriousness, if you want to appeal to a specific market, you have to go to them and tailor your marketing and listings to cater for them (eg an obvious one would be to list in US dollars, which I note you already do). 

If you're not offering a unique product, then you'll have to find other things that would make your shop / items more appealing to US buyers (I see you have some products that have a well-known brand which is widely available - if you can't give US buyers a reason to buy from Portugal instead of within the US, all the advertising in the world won't help). 

Also consider social media. 

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply