blocked buyer contact to buy directly

Dear All,

We have taking advice from the forum to set up our buyer requirements and have blocked unpaid/strikes buyers and added few others to the block list.

One buyer contacted us because they couldnt purchase an item from us and asked to buy directly. That is they asked for our bank details so they can deposit directly, and we send the items once receive the deposit.

It's good for us, because it's a sale. BUT

- does this violate any ebay selling policy ( we have been search but can't find anything about dealling directly with seller), or avoid fee?

- wonder if they can use our account for other purchase ( ie. money laundering)?

thanks in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

if you are refusing to sell to them thru eBay why on earth wouldd you consider selling to them off-eBay??????????????

and yes, it is against ebay rules to use a contact thru ebay to sell off-eBay

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Yes, if you agree to what this buyer is proposing, that does violate ebay policy, since you can't conduct a transaction that you initiated through ebay, outside the ebay system.

I have also, on occasions, had messages from buyers who wish to purchase from me but find they are unable to bid on my items due to being blocked. Many are quite upfront and simply say that though they have had a couple of unpaid item strikes against them in the last 6 months, they are genuine buyers and give me guarantees that they will pay if they win. They ask that I unblock them so that they can bid or buy.

In most cases I don't accede to their requests, but I have done so on some occasions. The way I see it is, that there is a reason for the blocks and to change one's mind about it and remove the block, makes a bit of a nonsense of the the BBL (Blocked buyer list).

One the other hand, we all know that ebay frequently gets things wrong and can be very tough and unbending in their judgement and actions against more commonly sellers but also on occasions, buyers. 'Sorry, we made a mistake', is something you don't hear very often from ebay, even when they SHOULD be sorry and acknowledge their mistake. So I allow for some leaway.

When I do decide to allow bids or purchases from such prospective buyers, and unblock them, the transactions are still conducted through ebay, and so not vilolating ebay's policy on the matter.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Easy fix, remove them from the BBL for this sale, allow them to purchase through eBay, accept only Bank Deposit as already agreed and simply mark Item Paid in eBay once the money is received.

No off eBay transaction, you get the money up front so no chance of NPB or chargeback, all is well.

Then, pop them back on your BBL, coz they have obviously done the wrong thing in the past, and best to protect yourself for the future.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

We have unblocked a couple who sounded genuine and each time they still never paid. So we won't do that any more.

We have had just one who "pleaded" I will pay by bank deposit so we passed our details. The deposit did arrive and we mailed out the item. She passed her address in a message.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Of course you would be insane to allow a buyer to risk their money by paying cash into your bank account on the chance that you would send them the item especially as it would be against the ebay rules.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks all.

We have replied to the buyer stating that we are not allow to deal with them on off-site. Dont want to risk our right to continue selling.

Thanks all

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply