compromised account

Hi I am a very infrequent user living in New Zealand.  I havn't used ebay for a year or so and yesterday a whole bunch of strange stuff started happening.

My account has been compromised somehow.  Someone has listed two items on my account in the past two days, item 112386638474 and 112386639655.

I have heard from both sellers that they have paid demanding refunds.  Both have claimed that they have contacted both paypal and ebay via phone and are both saying that ebay and paypal both told them I had recieved the money and that I had to make the refund

I have never sold anything before on ebay and I live in New Zealand.

I suspect that both the buyers are in fact the same person as they are using the same demands and wording.

My account was also accessed last night from New York.  I recieved an email from ebay stating that I signed in with a single use code containing the following:

Signing in with a single use code was a whole lot easier than remembering a complicated password, wasn't it?
Here's more information about this sign in:
Time - Apr 28, 2017, 04:34:46 AM PDT
Location - New York, New York, United States
Phone number - 469-xxx-xx02

Overnight it appears that this breach has also resulted in access to the request refund button which I never pressed.

I have never recieved any funds for either of these products.  I have checked my paypal account and it shows no transactions at all.

I have changed my password twice and cancelled my paypal credit card to prevent any theft in case they start buying goods as well.

Also I seem to have been charged money for goods I never sold by ebay. 

I found it impossible to talk to ebay about fraudulance.  The resolution centre/help desk doesn't seem to cater for it.  I logged a sellers case but havn't heard back from them. 

Anyone have any ideas how to get this resolved. 

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

compromised account

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I don't know where you got the item numbers from but they do not seem to exist.

You need to ring ebay and paypal....don't take no for an answer.

And have no further contact with the "buyers"....they are the scammers.

If you were in Australia I would say to contact ACORN.....they deal with online fraud.  It probably would not go amiss to contact them from NZ seeing as how you are dealing with ebay in Australia.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

compromised account

go-tazz
Community Member

Sounds like the Emails you received are fake and the item numbers don't exist.

Hopefully you haven't clicked on any links within those Emails as they could contain a Trojan or Keylogger,(

hoping to gain access to your accounts).

Watch out for spoof or phishing emails you may get, as a precaution ,run all your spy ware and virus

protection and change your passwords by logging into your account via your browser.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply