eBay-PayPal-pick up items

le73
Community Member

Hi All, this is my first complete rip off on eBay... just letting you know what happened so it doesn't happen to you too, be aware eBay do not have your back, I sold an item, payment went through on PayPal, the buyer contacted me via eBay to organise pick up, item was collected, then the eBay user claimed she had been hacked.... and PayPal took the money back off me beacuase of no tracking

order number... I provided contact numbers, details, times but regardless I can not even open a dispute because according to eBay and PayPal the buyer paid for the item... PayPal do not report back to eBay regarding supposed fraudulent use of accounts... the best I can do is provide **bleep**py feedback.... so now I have a sad ten year old who sold her first guitar... and now has no guitar and no money to buy the next size up

please if its local pick up choose COD only.... I'm sure most of you already know this, but for those who don't, please learn my lesson.

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: eBay-PayPal-pick up items

I usually refund a Paypal payment on a pick up only item and tell the buyer to inspect the item first before they pay cash.

If someone insists on PayPal on a pick up item then I take the rego number of the car and in some cases the licence number as well.

This info can be given to PayPal for possible fraud and more importantly if you collect those details, less likely a scammer will try.

BTW, what was the sale price of the guitar ?

A little surprised PayPal has taken it from you if they can see it was a hacker.

Seller protection should cover that.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

I usually refund a Paypal payment on a pick up only item and tell the buyer to inspect the item first before they pay cash.

If someone insists on PayPal on a pick up item then I take the rego number of the car and in some cases the licence number as well.

This info can be given to PayPal for possible fraud and more importantly if you collect those details, less likely a scammer will try.

BTW, what was the sale price of the guitar ?

A little surprised PayPal has taken it from you if they can see it was a hacker.

Seller protection should cover that.

image host
Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

Very common I'm afraid

And you are right, ebay never have the seller's back

however very very few people use COD due to the expense. COD being cash on delivery and different from cash on pick up

Have you phoned ebay and asked for a call back to speak to a supervisor? they are much more helpful than the bots you get via email or phoning the call center

Have you been in touch with ACORN to see what they can suggest?

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

You really suck eBay,wake up to yourself eBay.

Ebay needs to get rid of this bull**bleep** policy that a pick up can be paid for with PayPal for **bleep** sakes.

As always eBay allows scamming buyers get away with murder.

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

Smiley Surprised Feel better eezi ? 

You're right eBay should make it optional to have PayPal on pick up only items.

But this one is not eBay, it's PayPal.

If accounts have been hacked, both buyer n seller should have protection by PayPal.

image host
Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

@eezipeezi888 wrote:

You really suck eBay,wake up to yourself eBay.

Ebay needs to get rid of this bull**bleep** policy that a pick up can be paid for with PayPal for **bleep** sakes.

As always eBay allows scamming buyers get away with murder.

It's another eBay over reaction to the very small number of sellers that "may" have been doing the wrong

thing according to them with pick up items.

This way they stop that and Paypal makes more money,(a win win for them and another kick in the pants

for the sellers),stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

eBay chat tomorrow:  Note the different start time.

Understanding Seller Standards - Thursday 3 August from 12noon (AEST)

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Chat-with-eBay-staff/Understanding-Seller-Standards-Thursday-3-Augus...

The perfect opportunity to let them know how well the Seller Standards policy "works" for sellers,(or

more accurately how it doesn't work).

The best way to post to the eBay chats is to maybe have things written down,(so you can just copy and

paste it into their Chat thread when they come on line).

Op needs to contact Paypal during business hours to get it sorted,good.gif

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

Once again we see eBay choosing the topic.

Which once again seems to be of marginal interest for the bulk of sellers - at least the ones who use the boards. I am fairly sure I understand the Seller Standards. Whether I agree with them is another matter. Which I suspect won't be canvassed, so letting them know is probably an exercise in talking to eBay futility

Is there a discernable trend with the chat topics, or do we need to wait a couple more weeks?

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

Yes kopes I feel better now about how I feel  but not about the way OP has been treated thank you

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

Do you think eBay will listen to what I have to say about the way decent sellers are treated?

Some how I don't think so.

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

@eezipeezi888 wrote:

Do you think eBay will listen to what I have to say about the way decent sellers are treated?

Some how I don't think so.

No,but maybe try and make them understand that bad buyers are destroying good sellers by the simple

means of the poor performance of Australia Post and other factors that a seller has no control over.

If they come back with saying that items need tracking then just let them know that it's cost prohibitive for most

items and the only benefit is to eBay who will make more money from tracking.

Also just state your experience and how little it took for you to be stopped from selling,(how many sellers

would  they have they lost because of bad buyers like the ones you dealt with).

Ask them where your protection is/was,(from the Seller Centre page):

Our standards include protections to prevent individual buyers from impacting your standard in order to

evaluate performance fairly.

And from their Seller Centre page:

Your Seller Standards Dashboard reflects your current and trending seller performance, including detailed reports that can help you diagnose areas that require your attention.

If you're not meeting the minimum performance requirements for:

• Late shipment rate – we may email, call or alert you in your account and may limit some of the postage options available to make sure buyers have the right expectations on delivery times. You'll still be able to run your business on eBay, as we will not restrict your selling activity.
  • Defect rate or cases closed without seller resolution – we may put limits on your selling activity or lower your search placement until your performance improves. We may also restrict you from selling items on eBay if your performance falls significantly below the minimum requirements.

Nowhere does it say you will be stopped from selling,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply