eBay Satchel + lodging over counter <> Seller Protection

Sold an item. Paid for with PayPal. Used an eBay satchel. Printed label via eBay. Lodged over the counter at post office. Receipt received. Item not delivered. Tracking shows "In Transit". Query lodged. Aus Post can't find it.

Item not received claim resolved in favour of the buyer. Money deducted from our PayPal account.

"Seller Protection" - caveat emptor.

Message 1 of 61
Latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

eBay Australia Post satchels ARE NOT ELIGIBLE for PayPal Seller Protection

Can anyone explain why? Paypal and eBay are the one company and eBay want us to use their labels..... Another thing I notice with eBay Labels they allow you to change a buyers address if they have enter ** Martins Road, Sailsbury, Adelaide SA 5108. Because it has got Adelaide in the City/Suburb instead of Salisbury and the postcode is different you cannot print a label. Now if you change Adelaide to Salisbury which it the right postcode are you still covered by Seller Protection??? with Paypal.

Message 21 of 61
Latest reply

@mpemberley wrote:

UPDATE: After calmly and politely discussing the situation at some length with a supervisor at PayPal, we have received a *discretionary* refund.

It was made very clear to us during the conversation that:

eBay Australia Post satchels ARE NOT ELIGIBLE for PayPal Seller Protection

Seller Protection requires;

- a receipt

- a date

- a postcode

on the one piece of paper

Are Paypal saying that if I lodge a prepaid AP satchel over the counter at any PO or LPO and receive the standard AP receipt which includes the date and the recipient's postcode, I'm eligible for Seller Protection, but if I purchase my postage for an eBay satchel through eBay themselves, I am NOT covered?

Well, words fail me. How ridiculous is that? Paypal and eBay are essentially the same company, and eBay is trying to encourage their sellers to purchase on-line postage through eBay, yet they're not prepared to make their own postage eligible for Seller Protection? Talk about a major disincentive to buy postage through eBay then. In that case, I will continue to buy my postage through AP as I've always done, and rest easy in the knowledge that at least I'm covered by Paypal for Seller Protection.

BTW, thanks for letting us know how you went, and I'm very pleased that you were reimbursed on this occasion. 🙂

Message 22 of 61
Latest reply

@bigbrickshop wrote:

I might ask for something in writing from PayPal to confirm if this meets the requirements for Seller Protection.

I also wonder about C&S. We no longer get lodgement receipts when payment is made online and parcels are lodged over the counter.

Yes, I am going to follow up and seek responses in writing from eBay and Paypal too.

The requirements of the eBay label documentation you should keep to ensure seller protection should be crystal clear for all.

It makes me a tad annoyed and cross with both entities that this is unclear Cat Frustrated 

Message 23 of 61
Latest reply

I am very new to all this I have just started selling and have used ebay labels some are still saying in transit. I dont have copies of the labels because I thought if I did everything through ebay I would have 100% seller protection. Some of the labels 4 maybe 5 I have has to edit, the address. (With ebays permission) these have not been delivered yet "In Transit" and that was over 2 weeks ago am I Covered with paypal seller protection?

Message 24 of 61
Latest reply

I'm interested in hearing the results... PayPal currently have this showing when you click on the link for "proof of shipment", and nowhere does it say this information has to be provided on a single document, just that the documentation you do provide has to include date it was sent and that it was accepted, plus either the recipient's delivery address or receipt showing the recipient's suburb, city or postcode, so I would be quite interested to know, given that ebay labels can provide all this if lodged over the counter, how they don't qualify for protection. 

What is proof of shipment?

At the very least, your documentation must include:

• The date the item was sent; and
  • An official acceptance by the shipper, such as a postmark or online status. (Status that shows the item was delivered is also acceptable.)

It must also include either:

• The recipient’s delivery address, showing at least the state, city and postcode (or international equivalent); or
  • A receipt from Australia Post showing at least the recipient’s suburb, city or postcode (or international equivalent).

Examples of proof of shipping include:

• A copy of the shipping receipt that includes the delivery address. You can get this from Australia Post’s Registered Post and Australia Post’s Registered Post International, or
  • For Australia Post eParcel customers, a copy of the consignment information page which shows the delivery address and the online tracking code that can be used to confirm delivery, or
  • A shipping code PayPal can use online to view the shipping status and delivery address. You can get this from TNT, DHL, FedEx, Skippy Post and other carriers, or
  • A receipt issued by the carrier, signed by the recipient acknowledging delivery.
Message 25 of 61
Latest reply

Stating it again, eBay 500g and 3kg Australia Post satchels DO NOT QUALIFY for PayPal Seller Protection.

If you use them, even if you lodge over the counter, and the item is not delivered, YOU WILL LOSE an Item Not Received dispute.

If you use them, even if you lodge over the counter, and a credit card chargeback is done YOU WILL LOSE your money.

This is regardless of the fact that eBay heavily promotes using their postage and there is a widespread fallacious belief that this makes you eligible for Seller Protection.

This is regardless of how *you* interpret PayPal's pages on the matter. PayPal do not care what *you* think. We thought we were covered, too. Nope. Now we know better.

Use eBay postage and you are NOT covered by PayPal Seller Protection.

Lodge and Pay Over The Counter at a Post Office for parcels and you ARE covered by PayPal Seller Protection.

Again:

- official receipt

- date of lodgement

- buyer's address, which must match the PayPal address at the time of purchase [Australia Post receipt with the correct postcode is acceptable]

all on the one piece of paper.

Otherwise you lose.

Risk manage your postage as you see fit. *We* will be walking to the post office a LOT more from now on and not bothering with eBay 500g satchels once our current supplies run out.

Message 26 of 61
Latest reply

@mpemberley wrote:

Stating it again, eBay 500g and 3kg Australia Post satchels DO NOT QUALIFY for PayPal Seller Protection.

I 'heard' you fine the first time. 

I'm questioning what you were told none the less, because it doesn't match what PayPal states in their policies, and wouldn't be the first time someone who works for a company got company policy wrong.

Secondly, you don't get any more or less documentation via C&S, and that has thus far always qualified for Seller Protection.... So, what's the difference for an eBay label?

Message 27 of 61
Latest reply

Agree DG ... I have little doubt that a Paypal rep lost in translation the actual policy intent / guidelines / application

A very important matter to get further advice on !!!! Via both eBay and further up the Paypal hierarchy.
Message 28 of 61
Latest reply

What is the point of Aust Post even having tracking on their prepaid satchels?

If they don't get delivered Aust Post appear to say, we don't know where it is.End of story

Paypal, says there is no proof of sending (postcode is not shown on the lodgement receipt I get when handing over 500gm or 3kg satchel at PO with online eBay labels on them).

Woman Frustrated

Message 29 of 61
Latest reply

When an ebay package lable is scanned at the post office does the address details show on the computer, as in does the post office actually verify the address on the lable with the actual scan event? If not a seller could just edit a lable to screw buyers over for fun.

Message 30 of 61
Latest reply