eBay buyer says jacket is wrong size but it was accurately listed

I listed a new Jacket and described the size as US 8 translating to AU 10 to 12. I provided the measurements and suggested it was closer to a 10.

The jacket sold and the buyer sent me a message:
"this jacket is not size 10-12 or is it US8 I am size 10-12. how disappointing please return my money"

I responded that I was sorry she was unhappy - could she please check measurements and confirm they align with listing.

She responded: 'my size is between 10-12 au, my arms don't fit into this jacket so it tells me it is not the size that was listed please accept my return.'

So, I'm also a 10 - 12 and it fitted me fine so I'm confident it was listed correctly.

I have bought things that didn't fit and just usually resell in eBay.

I'm assuming I'd better refund as a gesture of goodwill. Do I have to refund the original shipping given it seems more of a mistake in her part?

The listing is here: http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/151549632530?_mwBanner=1

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Hi there
The buyer has requested a refund through eBay.
Mmm, I'm in two minds. I'm not really happy to refund the original postage in the circumstances - I was so clear in the listing!
As you say, if it's disputed through eBay it's hard to predict how they'll proceed. I'm tearing my hair out trying to work out how they'd find me at fault though!
Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

By the way, if eBay finds in favour of buyer and then I refund, would that still be counted as 'solved without seller resolution'?
Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

If you want to do a voluntary refund that needs to be done before ebay steps in. Still get the defect, but not case closed without seller resolution.

If you and buyer can't agree on anything, then ebay steps in  and decides who wins!. As soon as ebay steps in then case is regarded as  'solved without seller resolution'

They may find in buyers favour and you have to refund. Plus get black marks for seller not solving problem.

They may find in your favour, and no defect.

I would be tempted to go for getting ebay to make the decision as you your size/measurement info is clear in the listing. If you do, please let us know what the outcome was.

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

Thanks for all the advice. I'll certainly let you know the outcome if I go down the dispute path.
Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

It is not really fair, as if buyer opens a dispute, and seller refunds them in full within a short time after they open the dispute, the seller still gets a defect.

Others have said the options for buyers to contact a seller (direct by msg) doesn't appear high on the list of options, so buyer sees the option to open a dispute/case first.

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

I'm not even sure if you could ring to discuss it with an ebay rep. I've heard that they automatically escalate it and then you're in the same pickle.

Happy to be wrong if anyone else has some experience.

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

I'm sorry to say, the long and short of it is you won't win either way, you can refund the money but you will get a defect, you can try your luck and let ebay decide, but you'll still get a defect. Smiley Sad

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

Paddlin

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

I did call EBay and was advised to keep communicating (else no response means refund required with no return of jacket) and allow the buyer to escalate. She seemed to think if measurements were listed and correct, I should be fine. Not sure if I was just being essentially fobbed off to another department though!

So I've once again requested that the buyer confirm the jacket aligns with measurements in the listing. And said f not, of course I'll refund. If so, will refund but buyer should pay postage.

I'll see how it pans out!
Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

From other boardies notes:  To avoid a defect:  

don't click on Accept Return but use Send Response instead.  

Resolve the issues through open communication. Once the issue is resolved, the buyer will be able to close the case as resolved.

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply