eBay withholding Seller funds for 21 days. Outrageous.

Good Morning,

eBay has announced they will be withholding all payments from all Sellers for a period of 21 days.

As far as I can see this is Unlawful.

eBay is simply a web site that facilitates a transaction between a Seller and a Buyer. They have no right to interfere with the payment, and certainly they have no right to withhold funds under the guise of ensuring safety of the transaction.

They are simply using this to keep massive amounts of Sellers funds and earn Interest, while we site here out of pocket for 21 days.

They say -
a)
if you have sold less than 25 products within 90 days they will withhold funds - to ensure you are an honest seller. Garbage.

b)
if we do sell more than 25 items in 90 days, then next time we only sell 4, we again are left without receiving payment for 21 days.

This is not just for Newby sellers. I have been with eBay since 2007.

In any event, PayPal has a process of protecting the Buyer and Seller in the event something goes wrong with the transaction, namely, PayPal will refund the Buyer or Seller.

So is this just a way for PayPal to mitigate their losses, by pushing the problem back to eBay and using eBay to hold funds under the guise of protecting customers, so PayPal can weazel its way out of its promoted security scheme ?

Moreover we all know eBay and PayPal transactions are dropping thus is this a way for PayPal as the owner to generate Interest on the back of Sellers funds they are withholding unlawfully for 21 days ?

This is outrageous and must be stopped.

Message 1 of 60
Latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

imastawka
Honored Contributor

LOL stawka

Message 3 of 60
Latest reply

Easier than answering the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over

for everybody

Message 4 of 60
Latest reply

Especially when, as usual there is a lot of hyperbole and little fact.

eg "All sellers", even by their contention doesn't mean all sellers.

it certainly doesn't apply to me in any of my incarnations, and this ID sells about 15 items per YEAR. Which would certainly catch me in the net if the net was as widespread as OP states.

Added to the fact that this 'just announced' new policy is over 12 months old.

Message 5 of 60
Latest reply

nothing like a senational headline to get the punters in hey.

next thing there will be horseless carriages in the streets.

Message 6 of 60
Latest reply

All aboard    

Message 7 of 60
Latest reply

Why don't you contact the ACCC about this new, never heard of before, announcement? I'm sure all the sellers on eBay will thank you.

Wait, what? That was done 18 months ago  when this was first introduced? Wash my mouth out. What on earth was I thinking?

If you have been with eBay since 2007, then like the rest of us, you would have been informed about this 18 months ago.

Message 8 of 60
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Easier than answering the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over

for everybody

Would it not be easier to just ignore the posts rather than trying to make people look silly. Not everyone uses these forums as a local hang out, like a group of you do, This is a forum for sellers to ask questions and have a rant if you do not like certain post it would be better to just skip the posts rather than trying, badly, to belittle people unless of course you get joy from that But I would say that says more about you than the occasional poster.

Yes they could use the search function but then you could skip posts or be civil rather than sarcastic to new posters I guess no one is perfect. 

Yes I know the grumpy 4 will TRY to put me down but serious I do not care I am sure you know that by now so knock yourselves out go for it.

Message 9 of 60
Latest reply

Paypal policy for funds release is
* 3 days after delebery (tracking, and marked as posted)
*7 days after estimated delivery (non tracked and marked as posted)
*21 days after estimated delivery, and not marked as posted)
If paypal dont comply, lodge a complaint with FOS.
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 10 of 60
Latest reply