got a defect over nonsense

2 months ago I sold a dress to a buyer in the US, then she opened a return request saying it doesn't fit her.

Fine, I accepted return, and waited, and waited, the dress never came back.

Buyer didn't provid a tracking # neither.

Then last week, she opened a case saying she hasn't got her money back yet, ebay made a final decision, decided in buyer's favour of course, and left me with a stinky defect that I don't deserve.

They didn't refund her though, buyer was asked to provide valid tracking information before refund can be granted.

So I didn't lose money at least, but why the defect? It doesn't make any sense.

Buyer failed to provide any evidence that item was in fact returned, and, I was found at fault??

As a small seller, just one defect is enough is strike down my account, to below standard.

I called ebay US earlier today and was told the defect cannot be removed.

I will try my luck again tomorrow.

Ebay is such a mess nowadays.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@tradingcat888 wrote:

2 months ago I sold a dress to a buyer in the US, then she opened a return request saying it doesn't fit her.

Fine, I accepted return, and waited, and waited, the dress never came back.

Buyer didn't provid a tracking # neither.

Then last week, she opened a case saying she hasn't got her money back yet, ebay made a final decision, decided in buyer's favour of course, and left me with a stinky defect that I don't deserve.

They didn't refund her though, buyer was asked to provide valid tracking information before refund can be granted.

So I didn't lose money at least, but why the defect? It doesn't make any sense.

Buyer failed to provide any evidence that item was in fact returned, and, I was found at fault??

As a small seller, just one defect is enough is strike down my account, to below standard.

I called ebay US earlier today and was told the defect cannot be removed.

I will try my luck again tomorrow.

Ebay is such a mess nowadays.

What was the defect for ? 

It should not be for unresolved case as you did all you could be accepting the return and waiting for the buyer to upload tracking.

If the sale was via the Australian site ring the numbers that pop up on the relevant help screen or better still request the callback. 

Escalate to a supervisor if you do not get a helpful customer rep in the first instance. 

VERY IMPORTANT IMO stay calm and be polite - under all circumstances. 

Defects can be removed and they are regularly.  Don't waste your breath with a rep that says they cannot .... escalate to a supervisor.

Good luck in sorting.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

I know the feeling.With all the holidays we had between feb-april I recieved heaps of defects over the postage time.

Just finding this out from ebay this morning as it is affecting my sales hugely,I took a closer look at the feedbacks.The last defect feedback I was left by a buyer was another unwarrented one.She left positive feedback saying I posted asap but late postage due to Australia post.So on the postage feedback it was a strike against me.I am positive buyers are not aware that these defects are going against us not Australia post.Like you say Ebay is such a mess.I have been selling on Ebay for 10 years and my business is slowely dying.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Are you supposed to pay for and/or provide the return postage label  for the overseas sale item to be returned?

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Sellers cannot provide a return shipping voucher if the buyer is overseas as it is an Australia Post service.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

I wasn't demanded to pay return shipping, because the reason of return was " Doesn't fit ".

Return request was opened on ebay.com , so I had to call ebay USA using Skype, but there was simply no way to convience that customer support lady how unfair this is, bad luck.

Due to time difference, I will give it another try later tonight, or on Monday.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

I have no idea how the US system operates but can they actually select "doesn't fit" as a pre defined reason for a return. Is it a change of mind because it didn't fit or that they claim not as descibed measurements? Was the listing listed through the Australian website?

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Yes it is considered change of mind purchase.

The choices for return include doesn't fit

New Picture (1).jpg

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

If it's a change of mind then I can not see how a defect should be issued, and then be told that it can't be removed.

What was the defect for? Not resolving an issue? It seems it was resolved by accepting a return.

The issue (in getting the defect removed) is that as a seller you some how shift over to the US based rules (as you elected to list on the US site) and as such would ebay be bound by the NSW fair trading laws? Who do you complian to outside of ebay?

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

I can only speculate that it may have became a defect when the buyer escalated it for eBay decision

the MBG system automation seems severely flawed IMO

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply