how many things do you have

its amazing the amount of items people buy on ebay or from shops . i can still remember a home only had 1 tv   1 radio  1 clock 1 phone .1 car.   now in a 3 person home we have 5 tvs  4 radios  4 phones  and about 20 types of time telling devices. and 4 cars and 4 computers

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

*ted bullpitt*
Someone should blow stuff up
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 11 of 25
Latest reply

I guess that's one of the factors that keeps ebay ticking along- not only do people own all this stuff but they must replace it frequently for the newer, greater model. And everyone likes to think they've saved money- buying on ebay comforts people that they've gotten a good price, whether they have or not.

Message 12 of 25
Latest reply

Back in the 1950s Australia was in the top 5 of the wealthiest countries in the world. People had an average of 5 electrical appliances, including * wait for this* an electric jug.

Life didn't come much better than that.

Now we only scrape in to the top 20, at about 19th richest. But I would be very surprised if many homes had under 20 or 30 electrical appliances.

There was a stage a couple of years back we had 5 cars too ( we have 3 kids). And 6 TVs in a 5 person household.

I am ashamed to say I'm not up with everything though-still got a flip phone.Smiley Embarassed

I won't be buying a new type on ebay though,

Message 13 of 25
Latest reply

my answer is b . . . . . again 

Message 14 of 25
Latest reply

I have 1 TV, a VCR, a DVD player, a DVR, 2 phones, 3 radios, 4 clocks (I like clocks), a car each (2), a microwave, an electric jug and horror of all horrors, NO ENSUITE! I have a 3br single storey home with a total of 6 rooms. Don't everyone fall off your chairs!

Now my shed is a totally different story.

Message 15 of 25
Latest reply

Things in general? Because that number is unknown  - I have boxes and boxes full of things, which contain several bags, which in turn contain many thousands of things (stock). Or are we just talking personal gadgets + cars? 

If the latter, I don't have a TV (there is one in the house, it's not mine and I don't access it), but I do have an old, still-working VCR, for no real reason. I have one PC + printer, and one (non-smart) mobile phone that I bought about 5-6 years ago, which doubles as my time-telling device and alarm clock, and I have one little portable CD player. No car (the way I drove when I did have a car, this is a good thing). 

I did buy a new kettle a couple of weeks ago, a glass one, which is nice (and quieter than the previous kettle, which was supposed to be a "quiet" kettle). 

Message 16 of 25
Latest reply

what i have mentioned it seams the norm now with 1 or 2 children in there late teens  or twentys,  how did we cope years ago  now most children and husband and wife have a phone each ,also have a car each , computers  and tvs , if you dad 3 children over 18 there is aa good change theres 5 cars in the driveway. also 5 phones ,    its crazy  dont talk about clocks there everywear even on the microwave stove  computers.

to gec you can call in anytime for your prize , its a pick up only, our courier does not go to you were ever that is. 

Message 17 of 25
Latest reply

Sometimes it can seem excessive but I think how much you need can depend on where you live.

For instance, we were a 5 car family (one per person) but we live in an outer suburb of Melbourne. We couldn't hop on a tram at the end of the street or walk to a train station, Buses only run part of the weekends.

It is not practical to ride a bike 35km or more to work, either.

So people are forced to rely on a car.

Just about no corner stores any more, no public phone boxes, so people really do need a mobile now.

Courses at uni that insist some units are done online rather than at lectures, so you have to be able to be online too.

So.. sometimes we may have an excessive amount but sometimes we are sort of pushed into some of it, too.

Message 18 of 25
Latest reply

Love the quote - one of my favourite M. Python sketches - while being hysterically funny, it makes a salient point !!!

Thanks to you (and of course, Monty Python) for the chuckle !

Message 19 of 25
Latest reply

Too bl**dy many.......that is why I keep trying to sell them on ebay Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 25
Latest reply