i have a problem

i have an item ready to be picked up [by the way this is 100% true  if someone can help me download the picture here on this post i will] i have a chicken on my roof ,its been there for nearly 3 weeks ,  there is a large tree at the front of my house hanging over the front of my roof, cant catch the chicken which we have free to a good home .found a person who has a small farm with chickens  ready to take it there . but i cant get the chicken on the ground so that i can put it in a large box for transport.  any ideas.

by the way i feed it everyday with a bowl of food and water . even my cat has been on the roof and this chicken is too smart  , even pidgeons go up to his food ,and the chicken chases it.

thank you if you can help

ps  i have a good exuse if i get a defect to ebay if i cant deliver on time lol.

Message 1 of 145
Latest reply
144 REPLIES 144

i have a problem

Had a similar problem some time back with one of my new chickens on the roof.  My husband got up on the roof to try and catch her but she could move faster around the roof and was dangerous for him.  We used bread to entice it close to the edge.  

Can it fly?  Because you can perhaps get it off by making it fly off the roof.  The other thing might be to make it come down for food.  Is she laying?   Could be a good sized omelette up there.  Smiley LOL

Message 2 of 145
Latest reply

i have a problem

Probably the easiest way would be to get up on the roof after dark, say after 9pm. Chooks can't see real well in the dark. They also aren't very mobile when it's dark. They become very docile and are far easier to catch. Don't use a torch because that will give her enough light to become active. That's what we do when the neighbours chooks escape into our yard and can't be caught.

Message 3 of 145
Latest reply

i have a problem

While 8 months pregnant I watched my husband's escaped cockateil fly up a very large tree to the top!

The postman suggested I climb the tree!  We got it down with a blast from a hose!  Yes it survived unhurt.

I'd try that.

Message 4 of 145
Latest reply

i have a problem

..... best post ever ..........Smiley Very Happy

Make sure you post a video of the results here ......... In fact, I bet there are some solutions on Youtube

Message 5 of 145
Latest reply

i have a problem

hi it can fly no eggs , in 3 weeks that we have seen it came down once as soon as we got there it flew to the fence and then on the tree , it sleeps on the tree branch and also the roof  , the tree branch goes over the part of the roof,

if it was a flat roof ok i would go up there but not on a tiled roof ,

do you think i should stop putting its bowl on the roof and keep the bowl on the ground, but she sometimes knocks the plastic bowl off the roof ,but does not bother that i know off come down. my wife has called it patricia.mmmm

even had the baker across the road come over with a knife and fork.

Message 6 of 145
Latest reply

i have a problem

good idea  i might try that  and look in youtube. i even try everyday talking to the chicken , but maybe i sound like a turkey

Message 7 of 145
Latest reply

i have a problem

Well if it can fly you might find a nice long broom or branch and sweep it off the edge.  Lucky there isn't a fox around it would soon come down in a hurry then. It isn't summer so not putting water up there would not cause her any stress, particularly when she can see it on the ground. Yes and you could also show it the axe.  She might get the message.

Message 8 of 145
Latest reply

i have a problem

Joe, just a thought.  Your problem could cause you another problem.  That being if your chookie is pooing on the roof and it rains your rainwater (if you collect it) will be contaminated.  So best to get that girl off the roof asap.

Message 9 of 145
Latest reply

i have a problem

hose it off the roof
Message 10 of 145
Latest reply