if you are selling an item from Melbourne, how can you state a postage price, say 15 dollars. The bu

rodney9881
Community Member

If you are selling an item from Melbourne, how can a postage of say 15 dollars be stated when the buyer could be in Queensland or say NT. How does the seller work this out. New to ebay and postage is confusing me. Thanks.

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

if you are selling an item from Melbourne, how can you state a postage price, say 15 dollars. The bu

When you sign up you had to put in your postcode. So did the buyer. So it is calculated by the 2 postcodes. If I look at your item and you have selected calculated postage then I will see perhaps $20.00 as I am in NSW.

If you just put flat rate postage everyone will see the same amount regardless of their location.

If you are not sure what to charge have a play around here

http://auspost.com.au/apps/postage-calculator.html

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Or maybe  the flat rate box rate which costs $15.05 for anywhere in Australia for 15 kg

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

A 3 kilogram satchel costs about $13.50 to anywhere in Australia.

and from May 6 it will have 10 % added to it for final value fees.

There could also be a handling charge of $1.50 added for packaging materials and or processing time. Some boxes cost as much as $2.30 to buy and it is something that has to be paid for by somebody.

Or the seller may have averaged costs to consider everywhere in Australia. Maybe $16.00 to WA and $12.00 locally. so they have taken an average.

This is not a ripoff it is the actual cost of posting items that ebay are pushing sellers to include as FREE POSTAGE in listings.

Many of my items are listed at $ 15.00 for postage and on many of them I actually lose money by the time I cover all actual costs.

I use purchased boxes as it is cheaper to use them rather than making my own or cutting down boxes that are the wrong size.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

Hi All,

Curraone, What i this, am I missing knowing something **Or maybe  the flat rate box rate which costs $15.05 for anywhere in Australia for 15 kg**

Thanks Jenny

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

@*aussie* wrote:

Hi All,

Curraone, What i this, am I missing knowing something **Or maybe  the flat rate box rate which costs $15.05 for anywhere in Australia for 15 kg**

Thanks Jenny

Click and Send - at least for the next few weeks.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

@diamond-halo wrote:

@*aussie* wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks Jenny

Click and Send - at least for the next few weeks.

Only for the next few weeks.

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

http://auspost.ebay.com.au/pdfs/Click_and_Send_Step_by_Step_Guide_Dec.pdf

Australia Post has made some changes to the Australia Post/eBay flat rate box weight limits available to eBay sellers via the eBay website.
Previously any Australia Post/eBay flat rate box (regardless of size) could hold up to a maximum of 15kg. The weight limits for eBay flat rate boxes have been revised to introduce a 1kg, 3kg and 5kg weight break for BX1, BX2 and BX4 respectively.
The weight limits have been adjusted to reflect the cost associated with sending items of that size (as the cost of shipping relates not only to the physical size of the item, but also the weight.)
For sellers with items over 5kg, Australia Post offers a range of parcel solutions which are priced based on distance and weight. These solutions are also available via the eBay website.
Australia Post recognises that these changes may impact eBay sellers and will be providing a 6 week grace period where we will continue to accept items up to 15kg in these three box sizes. However, from 12 May 2014 the new weight limits will be enforced.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

but for a few days more:

(assuming  you buy 1 box at a time from a Post Office)

eBay Australia Post Flat Rate Small (Bx1) Box (15 kg) at $1.75 plus POSTAGE $7.15 = $8.90
 eBay Australia Post Flat Rate Medium (Bx2) Box (15 kg) at $2.40 plus POSTAGE $11.70 = $14.10
 eBay Australia Post Flat Rate Large (Bx4) Box (15 kg) at #3.35 plus POSTAGE 15.05 = $18.35

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

500 g satchel is $7.15
501g to 3 kgs satchel is 11.70
Australia wide rates, if postage is bought ONLINE through ebay labels or click n send.

EBay satchels need to be bought in advance, before buying postage labels for them.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/australiapoststore/pages/australia-post-store-satchels

You can also get the lower rates online if you use your own boxes etc.

http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/ebay-flat-rate-satchels-and-boxes.html

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/pay/printing-labels.html

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply