inspecting an item before buying

chezzy
Community Member

Had someone ask about pick up, understandable because they are local. I assumed they would buy the item via ebay and then we would work out the details. It seems they now want to inspect item and if they like it they will then buy it. I am sure this sort of thing happens, I just don't have much experience with this sort of request.

Do I leave item listed, allow person to inspect item and then expect them to log on to ebay and hit "buy it now"? I don't even know whether they would have a device with them allowing them to do this...seems clumsy?? And what happens if someone else happens to hit buy it now when first person has made arrangements to inspect/pick up?

I certainly don't want to become 'open house' for inspections or be mucked around, or muck anyone around

thanks

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Hi Chezzy,

I think it depends on the item that you are selling...

For Example a car, i would let the potential buyer inspect it for sure!

In saying that, I'm sure there are a lot of car sales that are not completed as the buyer bids on the car, wins it, and then shows up and if they don't like what they see they do not complete the sale. Or a seller could describe a dint as minor, but the buyer thinks that its a major dint.

As for letting someone inspect the item, don't removing the listing, they might not even show up to the meeting.

I would expect them to log onto ebay and hit the "buy it now" button. (lots of people have the app on their phones)

You may have numerous people interested in the item and with "buy it now" it's first in best dressed!

Also make sure that if someone is coming over to inspect an item,

Always make sure someone else is with you, and get the contact details - name, ebay id and possibly a phone number before hand... just to be safe!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

Chezzy I have sold a few pick up only items over the years and I won't let anyone come without buying the item first, I am happy to cancel the transaction if they don't want the item when they see it but I want as much detail as possible before I let a stranger come to my home.

BTW can I have a little whinge? When buyers come to collect and pay for their goods why don't they bring the correct amount?

If someone wants 80 cents change out of $100 well just give me the exact money or say I can keep the change. Sheesh 80 cents.

Whinge finished. LOL

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Hi Chezzy,

I think it depends on the item that you are selling...

For Example a car, i would let the potential buyer inspect it for sure!

In saying that, I'm sure there are a lot of car sales that are not completed as the buyer bids on the car, wins it, and then shows up and if they don't like what they see they do not complete the sale. Or a seller could describe a dint as minor, but the buyer thinks that its a major dint.

As for letting someone inspect the item, don't removing the listing, they might not even show up to the meeting.

I would expect them to log onto ebay and hit the "buy it now" button. (lots of people have the app on their phones)

You may have numerous people interested in the item and with "buy it now" it's first in best dressed!

Also make sure that if someone is coming over to inspect an item,

Always make sure someone else is with you, and get the contact details - name, ebay id and possibly a phone number before hand... just to be safe!

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

I sell clothing and do allow people to come and inspect/try on etc. If they buy items I have listed, I have a computer and printer set up in my eBay room and we just process the payment on the spot, plus people tend to have smart phones etc to transfer payments themselves.

There are the usual security issues to think about but only you can judge that. I have the advantage of a separate building I operate eBay out of, plus a dog that puts up a reasonable noise when people arrive!

On the upside, most people buy more than initially expected, both from listed eBay stock and gear I have that isn't listed.

Regards,

Marina.

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

Thanks for your time. No, it is not a car. But obviously for convenience and to save on costs the (potential) buyer wants to inspect/pick up. What happens if they don't have a mobile device or access to ebay app while they are 'inspecting' item? I want to minimise chances of a second buyer coming into the equation and complicating things. Thanks.

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

@nevillesdaughter wrote:

I sell clothing and do allow people to come and inspect/try on etc. If they buy items I have listed, I have a computer and printer set up in my eBay room and we just process the payment on the spot, plus people tend to have smart phones etc to transfer payments themselves.

There are the usual security issues to think about but only you can judge that. I have the advantage of a separate building I operate eBay out of, plus a dog that puts up a reasonable noise when people arrive!

On the upside, most people buy more than initially expected, both from listed eBay stock and gear I have that isn't listed.

Regards,

Marina.

Sounds like a great set up Marina but I am a lowly casual seller without ebay rooms or show rooms. The best I can offer is they meet me out the front of our house, preferably with cash and preferably able to hit 'buy it now' at the same time. I don't know if this is doable.

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

Make sure your item discription very detailed. Most ebayers will just discribe one or two items and thats that. Then I have to ask them what material is it, can you provide the measurements, what is is the tag, does the item have defects, where is it made from. etc. Honesty is the best policy.

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

Show room/eBay room is a very fancy way of saying grany flat that my parents have to share with skiwear when they visit! They insist on calling it "Our flat" and I insist on calling it "My eBay room" and my teenage son insists on calling it "Why can't I live there?"

I'm in that no man's land between hobby seller and business (and even then it's highly seasonal) and I agree that if they're just needing to eyeball an item (as opposed to trying it on), I'd be asking them to go through checkout first, bring cash and show it to them at the front door.  That will at least sort out the ones who really don't know if they want it or not, as the only reason not to take it is if it's actually faulty.

Good luck,

Marina.

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

Have messaged the person saying that the listing will remain active and that I will be obligated to sell it to whoever hits the buy-it-now first.

I would hope that my descriptions and quantity/quality of photos are sufficient (have never had an 'item not as described' complaint).

It is over to the buyer to take the next step: commit to buy, or ask more questions to enable them to make a decision.

Am sure this sort of thing goes on all the time in ebayland, I know some/most is commonsense but thanks for the pointers.

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

If someone is paying cash on pick up of course they have the option of not paying and walking away, isn't that much better than you posting the item, the buyer being unhappy and wanting to return then giving you a neg because they are out the cost of returning it?

I would have no problem at all with a buyer saying they did not want something when they came to pick up,I would just ask them to agree to a mutual cancellation and relist. It is much more likely that they end up buying more items that haven't even been listed yet as you can coincidentally have items just their size and style lying around when they arrive LOL.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

If a buyer goes through the buy-it-now process or has won an item it makes sense to allow for pick up if they are local.

My confusion/concern stemmed from the potential scenario of someone wanting to inspect goods first before deciding if they want to buy.

I don't have a dedicated ebay meet/greet/viewing area and many items are in storage so any pick up would need to be a streamlined exchange (of specific items) at the front door. Bit hard to have other items conveniently laying around in this situation.

There is the other 'concern' - if the visitor/potential buyer has not gone through the ebay listing end process they might want to try do some deals. Considering some of my items have such narrow/nil profit margins refusal may offend!

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply