latest new from Aus Post - starts Jan 2016?

44 REPLIES 44

who post letters anymore

Message 2 of 45
Latest reply

I post hundreds every month
Message 3 of 45
Latest reply

@twyngwyn wrote:
I post hundreds every month

Ditto.

The thing that's really ticking me off about this is that AP refuse to say anything about how this is going to affect large letter pricing. The changes are all related to small letters (and so is their loss calculation - take large letters out of the equation, which are apparently on the increase, and you get a slightly skewed result re: decline and loss), but large letter pricing has always been based on the price of a postage stamp. 

I asked them directly, no answer, I ask the staff at my PO, they don't have a clue. The info must be known by someone, and they also must know tons of businesses use large letters at a high volume, and yet they don't confirm or deny anything, which would at least allow us to try and plan ahead. ๐Ÿ˜ž 

Message 4 of 45
Latest reply

We've got 4 months to stock up ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 5 of 45
Latest reply

I wish it worked that way - unfortunately, with stamps at least, as soon as the price rises, if you put older value stamps on an envelope, you have to still make up the difference to the current price. 

Message 6 of 45
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member

"Mail volume โ€“ of which 97 per cent comes from business and government - continues to decline and the letters service has accumulated losses of more than $1 billion over the past seven years. While the planned BPR increase and service changes will reduce the losses, they will not return stamped mail to profit."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont care about the changes, I sent about 50 small letters per week but it wont really affect my profit margin (Im not giving away anything about how I do it either Lol). Buttt....

This quote above is the part I like. Soooo.. if the price increase and changes arent going to return stamped mail to profit, why continue down the increase and current changes path???

No business that refuses to undergo massive changes over its lifetime lasts very long. Its the nature of business.  

Its like... "I know this isnt going to work, but lets do it anyway".

Auspost has made some changes (very very few), and thats ok, but its not enough.. they need a massive overhaul on how they think about mail as a whole. They havent seemed to have even considered that they might need a complete rethink. Typical government business. If this was a private business these people would have been fired long, long ago.

Message 7 of 45
Latest reply

I'm a postie. I deliver roughly 2,000 letters a day.

Message 8 of 45
Latest reply

you said  rises wont effect your profit   , but not telling how. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Message 9 of 45
Latest reply

@saarzi wrote:

"Mail volume โ€“ of which 97 per cent comes from business and government - continues to decline and the letters service has accumulated losses of more than $1 billion over the past seven years. While the planned BPR increase and service changes will reduce the losses, they will not return stamped mail to profit."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont care about the changes, I sent about 50 small letters per week but it wont really affect my profit margin (Im not giving away anything about how I do it either Lol). Buttt....

This quote above is the part I like. Soooo.. if the price increase and changes arent going to return stamped mail to profit, why continue down the increase and current changes path???

No business that refuses to undergo massive changes over its lifetime lasts very long. Its the nature of business.  

Its like... "I know this isnt going to work, but lets do it anyway".

Auspost has made some changes (very very few), and thats ok, but its not enough.. they need a massive overhaul on how they think about mail as a whole. They havent seemed to have even considered that they might need a complete rethink. Typical government business. If this was a private business these people would have been fired long, long ago.

They are doing that, but in a fairly simplified way - they're obligated to provide the small letter service, so my guess is that they treat it like any other business would a loss leader, and their parcel services etc make up for the loss in profit. (They probably don't mention this is articles like that, because they want people to focus on the loss - they usually only mention it when people are complaining about price increases on other services, which to me makes it look like an attempt to compartmentalise the issues in order to get specific public reaction, even though that's not actually how they are approaching said issues). 

The problem for them, I suspect, is that they can't cater for the decline in small letters in a profitable way - emailing and other forms of digital communication, which has taken the place of a lot of small letters, are free (with the exception of a fax, I suppose, but that's pretty old technology these days), so no one is going to pay Australia Post to digitally deliver anything, and whatever the running costs are for processing and delivering letters, the current volume and revenue can't sustain it, yet they can't cease offering the service, or reduce the cost to do so except by lowering service standards. All that I understand, what I don't understand - or rather accept - is their lack of transparency. I trust them, and their facts and figures, about as much as I trust eBay.....as a seller ๐Ÿ˜‰

Message 10 of 45
Latest reply