misuse of money back guarantee

I had a seller that opened a case where she said she couldn't track the item number wasn't working and therefore thinking that the item will not be received. In all honesty she purchased a Zimmermen dress for a bargain from me $200 when RRP$450 and she now whats to receive the dress and got back her refund!! This is so unfair as a seller I'm just outraged that Ebay will back this fraudulent buyer and issue a refund when I have all the proof that I have lodged the package with the Australian Post Office and the tracking number that goes with it. I have emailed her and she is rude!! Hopefully I might be able to intersept the package! 

Does anyone knows if thats possible? I will be going to the post office in the morning...so dissapointed!!

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

eBay will look for delivery - proof of postage isn't enough for them, so if the package never shows as delivered, they will refund the buyer (appeals if the item is subsequently delivered seem to have about a 50 / 50 success rate, just going by the stories told here on the boards).

The other thing is, just in case this makes a difference, because not all sellers have been aware of this, when an INR request is open, you have to add the tracking details to the request, even if they have already been uploaded to eBay and are visible on the original order details.

It's a really dumb rule, and there's no real justification for it, but eBay will automatically rule against a seller 100% of the time if they have not added the tracking details to the request before it is escalated (i.e. eBay "steps in and "helps""). JMHO, if the tracking number is already on the order details, it should automatically be attached to any request that's opened, but it seems like eBay want to catch a few unsuspecting sellers. (If this is what happened with your case, you may have success with an appeal - I know others have, but you may need to try more than once). 

If the item hasn't been tracked as delivered yet, but it is in the future, send the buyer a message requesting either repayment or to send the item back. Give them a time limit to take either of these actions (and send a PayPal invoice for the amount). 

If they don't return or repay the item, report them to ACORN. They are more likely to take further action on a case like this due to the value of the transaction, and the online form is very easy to fill out. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If you have the required proof of lodgement and tracking then you have nothing to worry about.

Just upload the details into the dispute and the buyer will not get a refund.....at least not from your money.  If ebay chooses to refund her then that is up to them.

Don't interfere with the delivery process at this stage or you might make things worse.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

I have sent an appeal and an email to ebay, but they already send her a refund. I have nothing to worry about, just that now she will receive a free dress ๐Ÿ˜ž and get her money back. All the info was on the page with the tracking number and ebay did nothing! that is why Im so angry.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Did you answer the dispute with the tracking and lodgement proof within the timeframe?

Ebay is supposed to give you time to do this....they don't refund immediately.

There have been several instances on the boards of ebay not following their own policies.

If all else fails then make a complaint to the Ombudsman....that should at least get you your money back.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

eBay will look for delivery - proof of postage isn't enough for them, so if the package never shows as delivered, they will refund the buyer (appeals if the item is subsequently delivered seem to have about a 50 / 50 success rate, just going by the stories told here on the boards).

The other thing is, just in case this makes a difference, because not all sellers have been aware of this, when an INR request is open, you have to add the tracking details to the request, even if they have already been uploaded to eBay and are visible on the original order details.

It's a really dumb rule, and there's no real justification for it, but eBay will automatically rule against a seller 100% of the time if they have not added the tracking details to the request before it is escalated (i.e. eBay "steps in and "helps""). JMHO, if the tracking number is already on the order details, it should automatically be attached to any request that's opened, but it seems like eBay want to catch a few unsuspecting sellers. (If this is what happened with your case, you may have success with an appeal - I know others have, but you may need to try more than once). 

If the item hasn't been tracked as delivered yet, but it is in the future, send the buyer a message requesting either repayment or to send the item back. Give them a time limit to take either of these actions (and send a PayPal invoice for the amount). 

If they don't return or repay the item, report them to ACORN. They are more likely to take further action on a case like this due to the value of the transaction, and the online form is very easy to fill out. 

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Thank you for all the information and advice on the matter, I hope this helps all the other sellers who have encountered problems like this ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Have you checked the tracking to see where it is at? Take a screen shot and upload it when you contact eBay. What was the Dlivery time estimate - did she lodge a dispute within the estimated delivery time or has the delivery estimate time passed. If it was within the estimate time I would contact eBay and let them know the item is in transit (upload the tracking screenshot) and tell them they at they have hastily refunded the buyer.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

In future it would be a good idea to add SOD for items over $50 and for over $100 I would add insurance so if Aus Post do lose the item you will be ale to claim back the full cost of the invoice.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

@martpetko wrote:

I had a seller that opened a case where she said she couldn't track the item number wasn't working and therefore thinking that the item will not be received. In all honesty she purchased a Zimmermen dress for a bargain from me $200 when RRP$450 and she now whats to receive the dress and got back her refund!! This is so unfair as a seller I'm just outraged that Ebay will back this fraudulent buyer and issue a refund when I have all the proof that I have lodged the package with the Australian Post Office and the tracking number that goes with it. I have emailed her and she is rude!! Hopefully I might be able to intersept the package! 

AusPost is advertising now that you can change an address for delivery while your package is in transit. If ebay has refunded this buyer already I would call Asutralia Post and ask them not to deliver it to the original address and post the parce back to you,
Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

It is the receiver who has to authorise the change of delivery address...not the sender.    It can only be done under certain circumstances and the receiver accepts full responsibility for it being delivered....they cannot claim on AP if it does not arrive.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply