oooooh boy, here we go

So, I sell second hand clothes. Naturally, second hand means one-offs, and i dont have control of what comes in, are they both fair assumptions people should make? I would think so..

On my other account, someone purchased, and paid for, a boys size 5 flannel shirt. (and paid for, of course, means they can now leave me feedback. Oh goodie...)

Then I get a message as follows

I would like to purchase 4 x size 5 assorted colours and
4x size 4 assorted colours of your flannel boys shirts could you do this as a job lot total prise including postage post code 2315 thanking you in advance

Well, first off, they have part paid by paying for the shirt they have already purchased before waiting for any kind of invoice, even if I did have any possible way of filling their order. I do have two more size 4 shirts, plus the size 5 they bought, and that's it. 

Does anyone see any way this ends well for me? I'm going to have to figure out if he wants the one he has already paid for, if he wants the other two I have available (and invoice for an amount which considers what he has already paid), while he appears to have a limited command of english. And on top of that, who wants to bet I'm in for a neg feedback for not filling his original order whether or not the transaction we end up with is positive.

Sigh 

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

oooooh boy, here we go

cq_tech
Community Member

I'm presuming you listed just the one boy's size 5 shirt which was duly paid for through ebay checkout so no invoice is required and as that transaction is now essentially complete you should have already sent the shirt to your buyer. As far as his subsequent message is concerned, you simply need to politely answer it and let him know that you are just a private seller of second-hand clothing and not a retailer who can supply specific items on request, and that should be the end of the matter.

You are worrying unnecessarily as the only feedback he can leave you relates to the original completed transaction and as long as he receives the shirt in a timely manner and is satisfied with its condition, there is no reason he should leave you anything other than positive feedback. Any subsequent messages are not orders nor part of the original transaction, but simply follow-up enquiries which you're in no position to satisfy, and as such should have no effect on any feedback he may leave for the original purchase.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

oooooh boy, here we go

This......above from cq

Just deal with the order you already have, and send a polite response advising what you have in stock and pricing, if the buyer is interested.  Life's too short and eBay is complicated enough without worrying about things that may never happen.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

oooooh boy, here we go

I sell preloved garments on this ID, and from time to time get interesting requests for different sizes or colors or other variations of goods that I only have a single one of.

Don't stress too much, I too would just respond with a very polite, short message indicating that I am unable to fulfill their order.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

oooooh boy, here we go

Ditto I get the same often, a polite explanation as it is obviously a mistake, and if they want to cancel then allow it.

Be polite and don't try to be smart or you can get back fb of defect for communication.

Don't send anything until its clarified

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

oooooh boy, here we go

saarzi
Community Member

I dont understand the worry either.

They havent "part paid" anything. The bought a listing that was for one shirt, and paid in full, then asked if you have others.

Just let them know unfortunately you dont have what they are looking for.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

oooooh boy, here we go

All good advice here .......... I think though that this is a good example of how concerned we all now get about buyers and their feedback. Just follow the rules - it's a retail transaction. Very good advice though about reminding buyers that you aren't a retailer who has extensive stock. I have had to remind a buyer once about that. A buyer a couple of years ago actually though that everyone on eBay was a professional retailer ........
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

oooooh boy, here we go

Send the shirt that was ordered and paid for.

Reply to the request, stating you unfortunately do not have the stock to supply what they would like to order.

What's happening here is you're letting yourself get distracted because you have 2 x size 4 shirts & you're getting worried because you want to sell these but you're aware of the difficulty of supplying only part of what they want and new invoices etc

Forget it. It is all too messy.

You have made a sale, just stick with that & post it off pronto.

If  that lost sales opportunity is still upsetting you, you can always add to the message and say that if they are interested, you will let them know if more items become available. Then in a week's time, you could write and say-I now have 2 x size 4 shirts available, then attach a photo & combined price. That way they wouldn't expect the two transactions to be combined.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

oooooh boy, here we go

Send the one paid for,

Reply that you dont have any further size 5's

Go have a nice drink of some type.

Relax

Dont read into something that never happens.

I often get requests for things I don;t have or am out of stock off from people who have bought,  I just say sorry don't have.  They dont than leave bad feedback on the items they paid for, and I have deliered, just because I dont have something else... They also move on wth life and are most likely having a better drink than I am.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply