positive and 5 stars

I just wanted to say something about this.On a thread recently a seller said they could not understand why a buyer would leave a positive without 5 stars in every line.At the time I had to go to work and now I cannot find thread to reply but thought it was interesting.

I have only ever left one Neg in all my transactions but have marked down stars due to one thing being wrong like post;

For example, I brought some plant bulbs off a seller and on asking for post was told they would need a 5kg express post bag at $25 ..OK I agreed I assumed they must be big

When they arrived They were actually 1.3 kg ,she had used a 5kg express post bag  stuffed with newspaper so I got what I paid for but To this day it is a mystery to me why she needed a 5kg express post bag for 1.3kg of bulbs that last fine in post.The bulbs were great big healthy ones and she had given me 20 extra so I would not consider a neg but gave pos and 5 stars for description,communication and post time but 2 stars for post cost .as everything else was great

I think that this was fair as it would not be in anyway fair to neg her over it when that was all that was wrong and the stars are a way to reflect where there is only a small problem in one area .

Message 1 of 94
Latest reply
93 REPLIES 93

positive and 5 stars

Yeeeeah, HBH, harsh for a seller it is. 

But I would be unhappy to receive that service and I think the OP expressed that feeling precisely by not giving a 1.

It could not be a 3 because that is neither happy or unhappy.

Horizon - You are humble and perhaps this young grasshopper learns more from your wisdom than you know.

image host
Message 11 of 94
Latest reply

positive and 5 stars

Harley I will say I would not leave a 2 again for the same thing as under the new system it would be unfair .  but thats where the boards are good in that as a buyer I now realise that the stars have such an effect . I would leave a four now or none

Message 12 of 94
Latest reply

positive and 5 stars

@amalan11 wrote:

Also it was not realy a fixable thing 

Not for you or your transaction, sure, but without telling the seller why you were unhappy, they are left to make assumptions - you never know, without your input and clarification, they may have just gone ahead and assumed you were being completely unreasonable because you paid for precisely the postage service you received, had you communicated with them, maybe they would have seen your point - maybe they would have made one you could see.

Message 13 of 94
Latest reply

positive and 5 stars

IMO it's a very interesting topic. Slightly away from the OP, when ebay send out their surveys, they want you to rate them 1- 10.  I usually just ignore them. Next one that I get, I'm gunna be extremely honest with them and see what happens ?  The way I see it, what is the point in filling out a survey if your not able to be honest. If they don't want to hear what seller think about their service or lack of it, so be it. I think the 1st question from memory is, Would you recommend anyone else to use ebay. A big NO is gunna hit em. + I will tell them why. 🙂

Message 14 of 94
Latest reply

positive and 5 stars

I did that survey today and thought they might be better making  2 questions of that

Would you recomend friends SELL on EBAY

Would you recomend they BUY  on EBAY

I suspect judging by these boards the answer may be very different to each

Message 15 of 94
Latest reply

positive and 5 stars

Maybe it was a size issue and not a weight issue that the seller needed the larger bag. I have some things I sell which only weigh 1 or 2 kg but won't fit into a 3kg satchel.

Message 16 of 94
Latest reply

positive and 5 stars

Be honest and change will occur. Smiley Wink

One of the fundamental problems with people that want change, they over exaggerate.

And those that remain silent.

If they had just said it they way it is, it is easy for powers to adjust.

image host
Message 17 of 94
Latest reply

positive and 5 stars

amalan, In a Nut Shell, yes. 

Message 18 of 94
Latest reply

positive and 5 stars

Maybe the seller used the bigger bag so she could stuff it with newspaper to protect the bulbs. As someone who knows how easy it is to squish bulbs, it's not an unreasonable assumption. Maybe she has had issues in the past where bulbs were turning up damaged, so she resorted to the bigger bags and lots of stuffing to hopefully prevent that happening again.

No, the seller doesn't see that box that comes up when you select 1 or 2 stars, all they see is their stars dinged, who dinged them and the defect against their account that goes with it.

I have only dinged someone's stars for postage once. The postage I was charged was nearly triple what it cost, allowing for a handling cost as well. I sent the seller a message and told them I was dinging their stars and why. I noticed not long after that their postage cost had reduced to a more acceptable amount. I have since bought more things from them.

Message 19 of 94
Latest reply

positive and 5 stars

On some of my accounts i have received glowing feedback and a defect for item not as described. Which is a load of rubbish.

If they are so happy with the item, WHY on earth give a defect.

It's scary to think buyers can affect so many sellers so easily. Just click a button. It shouldn't be that easy to defect a seller.

Sellers bend over backwards for buyers, then get kicked in the guts for it.

Message 20 of 94
Latest reply