positive and 5 stars

I just wanted to say something about this.On a thread recently a seller said they could not understand why a buyer would leave a positive without 5 stars in every line.At the time I had to go to work and now I cannot find thread to reply but thought it was interesting.

I have only ever left one Neg in all my transactions but have marked down stars due to one thing being wrong like post;

For example, I brought some plant bulbs off a seller and on asking for post was told they would need a 5kg express post bag at $25 ..OK I agreed I assumed they must be big

When they arrived They were actually 1.3 kg ,she had used a 5kg express post bag  stuffed with newspaper so I got what I paid for but To this day it is a mystery to me why she needed a 5kg express post bag for 1.3kg of bulbs that last fine in post.The bulbs were great big healthy ones and she had given me 20 extra so I would not consider a neg but gave pos and 5 stars for description,communication and post time but 2 stars for post cost .as everything else was great

I think that this was fair as it would not be in anyway fair to neg her over it when that was all that was wrong and the stars are a way to reflect where there is only a small problem in one area .

Message 1 of 94
Latest reply
93 REPLIES 93

positive and 5 stars

@robinsonmarineparts wrote:

WE all know my opinion on this, the seller told the buyer the postage cost, the buyer agreed and is now having a public whinge.Smiley Frustrated

As far as I can tell the buyer assumed that the post price paid was FAIR for the listed post & handling charges and APPROPRIATE for the goods they purchased. 

It is only on receipt of the goods they discovered this was not the case.

Buying something does not mean that you have to put up with post pirates or refrain from commenting on sellers that post by inappropriate methods for the type of goods.

Sellers such as the OP struck, do not do any favours for buyers OR sellers in this trading environment.

Message 41 of 94
Latest reply

positive and 5 stars

@thecatspjs wrote:

Sellers such as the OP struck, do not do any favours for buyers OR sellers in this trading environment.

The seller charged for and used a 5kg satchel, though, the buyer just thought that using the larger size wasn't necessary.

One of the best sellers I deal with decided a bit over a year ago to post exclusively with satchels. They sell craft supplies, in a slightly different niche to me, but I know full well that many of my orders could be posted the same way I post my items - as a standard large letter, but as far as I see it, who the heck am I to tell them how to run their business? It just means I spend at least $75 every time I make an order to make the postage cost less of a burden, as it were, so from their perspective I'd say they'd be thinking they made exactly the right decision for their business (higher value orders, less faffing about with multiple postage options and lots of little orders).  

I have never been disappointed or upset that they made this decision - their business is theirs to run, and their decisions remain theirs, as do mine when I decide to shop with them.

Message 42 of 94
Latest reply

positive and 5 stars

To be perfectly fair, the price difference between a 3kg and a 5kg satchel is fairly minimal anyway at only $3.30.
Message 43 of 94
Latest reply

positive and 5 stars

As a buyer is often not able to assess if the type, size or price of the postage they have paid for is appropriate and fair for the type of goods they have purchased.

IMO regardless of "business model" adopted any decent seller open to improving their customer satisfaction will usually be open-minded to reconsidering their approach if some of their customers are not satisfied with aspects of their services, and tweak their practices accordingly, or not.

If I adopted the 5kg satchel model for goods I sell that weigh under 3kg I would expect such a business decision to contribute to buyers being less satisfied with their purchases from me due to the more expensive, inappropriate post services they had to pay for and for this disatisfaction to be reflected in feedback and DSRs - which I reckon would be fair enough.

Message 44 of 94
Latest reply

positive and 5 stars

If I adopted the 5kg satchel model for goods I sell that weigh under 3kg I would expect such a business decision to contribute to buyers being less satisfied with their purchases from me due to the more expensive, inappropriate post services they had to pay for and for this disatisfaction to be reflected in feedback and DSRs - which I reckon would be fair enough.

The buyer in this instance stated that the 5kg satchel was full as the seller had used newspaper to protect the bulbs.

How often do buyers complain if their items aren't properly packed and protected from damage in the post - not forgetting that a parcel weighing around 20kg could have been sitting on top of the satchel full of bulbs. In this case the bulbs arrived safely and in perfect condition. Putting them in a 3kg satchel without protection could have seen the buyer receiving damaged items.....and then who is responsible for that......the seller.

The seller has provided the service they quoted. Weight alone does not determine the size of the satchel needed.

Message 45 of 94
Latest reply

positive and 5 stars

The buyer thought it over the top for the bulbs that weighed just 1.2kg, I understand the buyers perspective.

If the goods being sent required such signficant protection as to fill a 5kg satchel with newspaper then sending in a satchel (without being boxed) ain't the brightest method either.

$25 fpr 1.2kg of plant bulbs sent within Oz, sorry find that well over the top of the what should have been charged.

Message 46 of 94
Latest reply

positive and 5 stars

I understand the buyers perspective also but so many buyers have no idea about postage costs and items being safely packed.

Some of my lightweight but bulky items would cost $25.00 for express post as they would need the larger size bag. They may only weigh 1 or 2 kg but they don't fit into a 3kg standard size satchel and sending via express parcel post would be ridiculously expensive.

If that is the case there is no way the buyer should be entitled to complain about the cost of the post even if they were to argue the parcel only weighed 1 or 2 kg.

Message 47 of 94
Latest reply

positive and 5 stars

It was 1.2kg of plant bulbs. 

Purchasing plant bulbs by the kilo or 2 usually costs between $10 to $15 for express service. 

Unless of course the bulbs were the size of pine cones and individually relatively lightweight Cat LOL

Message 48 of 94
Latest reply

positive and 5 stars

hi harley..curiosity has got me                                                                                                                                                                                   .You do realise sellers are able to see what stars you leave and if you give a lot of sellers 2 stars your buying capacity is going to be restricted.
My opinion is you were too harsh giving a 2     How do you go about seeing WHO has left the low stars? I have looked all over since I read that and can't find the door.

Message 49 of 94
Latest reply

positive and 5 stars

Low DSR's should show up in a defect report which you find in the seller dashboard. If you don't have access to the report, see my message (message 32 in this thread) to find out how to check ratings the long way round. 

Message 50 of 94
Latest reply