problem with a refund

I have agreed to refund an item for buyer

payment went through as paypal 

and they are saying that their paypal acount is inactive and  they paid with a credit card

they want me to credit to bank account as they cannot retreive the money from paypal

either way I"M in for a defect just checked out their feedback left for others

and they look look like the grim reaper

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

problem with a refund

Only refund via PayPal if that is how they paid.

They will need to fix their account before you hit the refund button in PayPal.

Could be a scam to get 2 refunds.

Have you clicked refund in PayPal?

Should you be refunding? Are they maybe trying one on?

image host
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

problem with a refund

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Only refund via PayPal if that is how they paid.

They will need to fix their account before you hit the refund button in PayPal.

Could be a scam to get 2 refunds.

Have you clicked refund in PayPal?

Should you be refunding? Are they maybe trying one on?

yes sounds like a scam

never come across this before

is there some way that I can verify to pay pal that I have actually refunded to bank if buyer insists

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

problem with a refund

Nope.

Well of course one can present the receipt to PayPal but PayPal have a strict procedure and even with evidence you could lose.

If they funded with a credit card through PayPal, they can instigate a chargeback 3 months later.

Seeing as the account looks on the fishy side I would only refund through the system.

Do they deserve a refund?

image host
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

problem with a refund

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Nope.

Well of course one can present the receipt to PayPal but PayPal have a strict procedure and even with evidence you could lose.

If they funded with a credit card through PayPal, they can instigate a chargeback 3 months later.

Seeing as the account looks on the fishy side I would only refund through the system.

Do they deserve a refund?

Agree totally kopes. I would also call & notify ebay & paypal about this one. 

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

problem with a refund

@opmania wrote:

is there some way that I can verify to pay pal that I have actually refunded to bank if buyer insists

Log into your PayPal account, locate the transaction, and click the "issue refund" option. This effectively reverses the transaction (though you will still be out the 30c PayPal fee), and it is 100% on record with PayPal and the credit card provider.

The buyer not having a PayPal account is irrelevant, if they fund with a credit card (which they have to in order to use PP without an account), the refund will automatically go back on their card, which in turn should negate the possibility of a chargeback.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

problem with a refund

@opmania wrote:

and they are saying that their paypal acount is inactive and  they paid with a credit card

they want me to credit to bank account as they cannot retreive the money from paypal

As the refund is initiated from your Paypal account will be refunded to the account (i.e. credit card in this case) that they paid through.  It may not be a scam, just a customer who does not know how the system works.

Don't correct them, this sometimes just makes the situation worse, just smile and nod and tell them you have to use your own Paypal account to refund them but if they paid by CC it will be refunded directly to their credit card without them having to access their Paypal account.

I know this is how it works because I have had a refund in this situation 🙂

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

problem with a refund

I normally give them the Paypal Refund Unique Transaction ID. The date and time of the refund and ask them to phone Paypal to enquire further, as the whole point of Paypal is to protect their banking/financial details so there's no way Paypal will provide me with further info.

Their money, their refund, their effort. 

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

problem with a refund

@opmania wrote:

thanks for the advise everyone have given refund via pay pal

either way this is not going to have a happy ending

so all I have to do is kick back and wait for the dreaded and inevitable red dot

suppose I should be thankful they approached me and not ebay otherwise would probably have a defect to boot lol

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

problem with a refund

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but if they give you a red dot, you also cop a defect. 😞
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply