purchased in their sleep!!! really?

funny:

I get this message

Hi, I'm really sorry but I seem to have bought this in error, I fell asleep with my phone in my hand whilst browsing eBay and I woke up with your skirt in my purchase history... It's not even my size and way out of my price range including the international shipping. I'm really embarrassed and really really sorry but is there any way of cancelling this transaction please? Many apologies again x

so what is the best way do they send thru a cancellation request, or if I cancel does that penalise me and my dashboard?  things change so often in ebay I never know what the correct procedure is... grrrr. another item to relist... (shipping is only 9.95 A$ so the int. shipping comment really isn't relevant)

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dear buyer,

That's fine. I will proceed to cancel the transaction to get my fees back as soon as the system allows.

You will still be given the option to pay for 4 days and if don't wish to proceed, simply ignore the case and it will be finalised.

Open an unpaid case as soon as you can and close it 4 days later.

Afterall the buyer may fall asleep again and accidentally press NOT ACCEPT for a cancellation. Smiley Wink

image host

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Dear buyer,

That's fine. I will proceed to cancel the transaction to get my fees back as soon as the system allows.

You will still be given the option to pay for 4 days and if don't wish to proceed, simply ignore the case and it will be finalised.

Open an unpaid case as soon as you can and close it 4 days later.

Afterall the buyer may fall asleep again and accidentally press NOT ACCEPT for a cancellation. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

You have two options. You can send a cancellation, tell the buyer you are sending it and a long as they agree to it they will not suffer any damage to their account. Should they get it wrong and not agree then you can call ebay and ask them to look at the buyer's message. Usually I would wait 4 days and open an unpaid item dispute and then clse it again 4 days later so the buyer gets a strike and cannot leave feedback unless they are totally honest and say "I stuffed up, I am a numpty, Please could you cancel?" Any hint of a stupid, lame excuse and it is an unpaid item dispute for sure.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

You can just wait the 4 days, then lodge an unpaid item dispute - eBay then chase them up for payment, and if they don't pay, your fees will be refunded - you pay these as soon as someone buys even if they haven't paid yet. Once eBay close the case after giving the buyer another 4 days to pay, you get your fees back and  can relist, and the buyer gets an unpaid item strike. I would also advise putting them on your blocked bidder/buyer list, and not communicating with them further.

I don't like to seem heartless, but after 10 years selling on eBay, I've heard every version of "the dog ate my homework" that you can imagine. You have to confirm a sale with a second press of the button, and I don't really think you'd do this in your sleep.

These people just waste our time and cost us in genuine sales opportunities.

Regards,

Marina.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

I c&p kopenhagens suggestion.  I appreciate all of your replies, but yes it is an absolute time waster and marina you are right you do have to confirm twice. clearly they think I'm a numpty to believe that!

(yes will a mixed up numpty - I replied from my other id - sorry!)

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

a reply as follows,

i think you should go back to sleep with your phone logged into PP, then when you wake up maybe you will have paid for your item.

otherwise ebay will ask you to pay in 4 days which you can refuse.

have a good sleep, this is all a bad dream.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

ha ha, yes if they reply I will certainly use that one!!!  at least the dog ate my homework is believable, (we have two labradors)

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

I sent a gibberish text message to my boss one time. I was a passenger in the car and was sending messages to a few different people to kill time and then dozed off. Somehow I had managed to touch enough things whereby a message was created. It was along the lines of:

jbfjbgbbbbbbbbbbbbbbldjdsfffffffffffffffffffff,sscccccccccccc,,nkjbjgbjrgbd,kgbjkbjhbjhiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnlakfkwqleithighbjdbsjab,dk,kaaf,

The reply I got was "I thought you always started a sentence with a capital letter?"

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

so glad you wern't texting and driving, that could have been your last ever text printed in the paper and on every news broadcast.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

@onekiwi0 wrote:

funny:

I get this message

Hi, I'm really sorry but I seem to have bought this in error, I fell asleep with my phone in my hand whilst browsing eBay and I woke up with your skirt in my purchase history... It's not even my size and way out of my price range including the international shipping. I'm really embarrassed and really really sorry but is there any way of cancelling this transaction please? Many apologies again x

so what is the best way do they send thru a cancellation request, or if I cancel does that penalise me and my dashboard?  things change so often in ebay I never know what the correct procedure is... grrrr. another item to relist... (shipping is only 9.95 A$ so the int. shipping comment really isn't relevant)

Personally I would of just cancelled the sale, yes that would risk losing me a few dollars but worth the risk IMHO. I do agree it is unlikely they made the order while asleep but saying that I have seen TV programs on things a lot stranger people do in their sleep. Now if it is a made up story the real reason may be something like they really want it but sadly currently can not afford it and are to embarrassed to say that or some other reason.

How I look at things is maybe, just maybe, Next week they win the lottery and they may be back to buy the item plus a lot more.or they may tell a friend about the seller who was nice and the friend may buy some items.  Are they currently a bit of a pain hell yes but you can be pretty sure if they get a UPI from you they will never be a good customer, no matter how unlikely that is worth the gamble well to me any way.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply