this is why Aust post needs to increase

ON THE ABC 7-30 REPORT RECENTLY, MALCOLM TURNBULL EXPLAINED WHY AN INCREASE TO $1 DOLLAR FOR A POSTAGE STAMP WAS NECESSARY.

HE NEVER MENTIONED ANY THING ABOUT THIS EYE OPENER...

Australia Post
Australia Post is a totally government owned entity and has been for about 200 years.

Recently, Australia Post announced the loss of 900 jobs, being part of a cut back program.

This is due to the decline in letters beings sent - largely due to email.

The CEO of Australia Post is Ahmed Fahour who was born in Lebanon and came to Australia in 1970.

In 2009, during the rein of Labor and PM Kevin Rudd, he was made Managing Director and CEO of Australia Post.

His salary package last year was A$4.8 million!!!!!

The top public servants in Canberra have salaries of between $665,600 and $844,800 so how does the bloke in charge of the Post Office received $4.8 million?

The Prime Minister of Australia earns a modest $507,000 considering the real burdens of office. The US President earns US$550,000 (A$757,000). The highest paid Mayor in Australia - Gold Coast City - brings in $225,000!!!

So, how on earth can the Post Office justify the massive pay of their CEO?.

Let's look further. The head of the US Postal Service with 19 times more staff and 11 times more revenue than Australia Post receives $550,000.

In France the head of their post office was paid $1.1 million with a staff compliment of 268,000 employees.

How can the CEO of the Post Office earn so much, especially when the postal service is bleeding money from letter delivery. No employee is worth A$4.8 million a year and especially not from a government owned business.
It gets worse - - -

The top ten executives in Australia Post combined earn around $20 million last year.

No matter what perspective is taken, with a loss of 900 jobs, how can A$20 million be justified for 10 'execs'!!!!

But, the salary rort is only half the story!!!

Of his A$4.8 million, Fahour donated A$2 million to the Islamic Museum of Australia (located in Melbourne).

This is a tax deductible donation, so WE TAXPAYERS are supporting the payment.

The founder and director of the Islamic Museum is Moustafa Fahour - yes, Ahmed's brother!!!!!

Moustafa's wife, Maysaa, is the chairwoman and Director.
And Fahour's sister, Samira El Khafir, manages the restaurant on site.

And, OUR letters will cost A$1 so this family can live the 'good' life!!!!!!

There is an unpleasant and some would say 'sinister' unbalanced agenda in Australia, which in the end preys on the average citizen, we the people.
We are no longer the lucky country and we are no longer wealthy and this particular game of 'Post Office rort' reveals some major fractures and faults on a number fronts in our society and culture.

Who is running the Country, who is pulling the levers and who is going to win?

We the Mugs certainly don’t look to be winners, - at this moment..... But we MUST make a stand against this rort. Australia Post was a service that we had lost. It is big now big business where the profit goes into private pockets.
The next election is around the corner.
Please pass this on. Please send it to your Federal Member of Parliament.

Message 1 of 87
Latest reply
86 REPLIES 86

Thank you.............I'll be here all week

Message 21 of 87
Latest reply

Fencing.gif          "one for all" Stalks.........................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 22 of 87
Latest reply

muskies3.gif  But of course

Message 23 of 87
Latest reply

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't AP only struggling in the letter department and excelling at everything else?

I don't like the price increase at all but it's because other companies force a fee for paper bills that it seem inevitable that snail mail will fade away.

I don't think comparing salary will do anything as CEO always get the flak. Steve jobs was only receiving $1 for being CEO yet nothing but hatred was thrown at him.
Message 24 of 87
Latest reply

I could not agree more, always been a pet hate.

People running charaties on obscene salaries, just crazy.

If you want a big salary, go join a merchant bank.

People give money to charity to help the needy, not line the pockets of executives.

That's what these people at Australia Post do not care about.

It is supposed to be the PUBLIC service. That means, you are supposed to SERVE the public, before yourself.

Public Service salaries SHOULD be much lower than private enterprise.

Why? Security of Tenure, sick pay (and how many public servant parasites as I type this, are sitting back on "stress" leave) holiday pay, flexitime, leave loading, superanuation, you name it.

All the benefits people working their own businesses and PAYING HUGE INCREASES FOR POSTAGE only DREAM about..

Message 25 of 87
Latest reply

I'll be happy when I can post an item inside my own country for the same amount someone from another country can post it over to us for.

I'll be happy when o/seas sellers pay the same GST we have to collect.

I'm just after an even playing field - that's all.

One day the govt. will drive us all out of business and we'll all end up on the dole.

Message 26 of 87
Latest reply

I would just like to know how some Goon at the top can be worth so much, whilst the guys driving the trucks and delivering mail can be paid so little?  A few cents to deliver a parcel does not make sense to me.  Quite unbalanced.

Message 27 of 87
Latest reply

I agree, it is not right.

$70,000 is the average yearly full time salary these days and a lot of people get MUCH less than that.

The guy driving the van works physically harder than the CEO and you could employ about 68 drivers for 4.8 million.

The CEO gets 4.8 million for what? To cry poor, sack workers, basically lie, and massively increase the postage costs.

Australia Post lie, because they know that their OVERALL business is profitable.

Parcels have made them a lot of money since the rise of the Internet.

Letters and the post are a vital national, public service, to rip off pensioners and the poor with such massive price increases, whilst gouging out huge salaries in the supposed "public" service is immoral and wrong.

Whilst they cannot even cancel the stamps used on the mail properly.

Write to your local politician. I am.

Message 28 of 87
Latest reply

@yeoldecoinco wrote:

I agree, it is not right.

$70,000 is the average yearly full time salary these days and a lot of people get MUCH less than that.

The guy driving the van works physically harder than the CEO and you could employ about 68 drivers for 4.8 million.

The CEO gets 4.8 million for what? To cry poor, sack workers, basically lie, and massively increase the postage costs.

Australia Post lie, because they know that their OVERALL business is profitable.

Parcels have made them a lot of money since the rise of the Internet.

Letters and the post are a vital national, public service, to rip off pensioners and the poor with such massive price increases, whilst gouging out huge salaries in the supposed "public" service is immoral and wrong.

Whilst they cannot even cancel the stamps used on the mail properly.

Write to your local politician. I am.

Unfortunately your local federal representative will only have a good laugh as both major parties agree with the principle of corporatisating state assets.

This appears to be a legacy of Thatcherism and is particularly prevalent in conservative ranks, though not exclusively so.

The unfortunate thinking behind the rise of letter postage rates will probably have the effect of pushing more purchasers of small, low cost items, into the arms of O/S distributors.

These benefit from subsidised postal rates and actually represent a loss to AP as they do not collect the full cost of distribution.

(they can, but don't, which I can only put down to minsterial level political motives)

3 signatories to the UPU convention reserve the right to pass on the full cost - Aus, NZ and Canada

I fully expect to see the letter service continue to show a loss even after the redundancies the new system is destined to impose.

If you have a read of the ACCC Draft Submissions Paper you will realise that the whole intent of "Priority" charges is to drive as many users as possible to the slower service, not to recoup costs.

This will allow AP to save considerable monies by elimination (or very heavy reduction of) Mail Centre nightshift staff.

(read mass sackings here).

Add to this the reduction in delivery workers ie letter posties, who will be doing multiple runs as letter deliveries migrate to periodic rather than daily and you can see where the logic of AP executive mangaement is heading.

This would also explain AP's rather heavy recent investments in automated sorting equipment and concenration of activities into larger "more efficient" mega centres like Sunshine West and Chullora which we all know has been a resounding success, no?

Machines do a much better job than humans after all, don't they? Or take holidays, or sick leave, or leave loading etc etc

Or pump cash back into the local economy either.

It's all rather sad really but AP are only doing what the rest of the corporate world is racing towards in this brave new world of what many commenators are labelling "Free Market Fundamentalism".

This neoconservative paradigm seems to be quite helpful to executive salaries and bonuses so it must indeed be good, right?

Gordon Gecko seems to be alive and well and probably offering corporate consulting services under an assumed name lol

Message 29 of 87
Latest reply

You obviously missed the point

I was not trying to give you the latest news article, i was only reminding you of why aust post needs to increase their revenue

To finance their ridiculous highly paid  Ceo

And that this person will probably get a substancial increse evey year

and that he was opponted by the government

Obviously there are lots of people in our ebay communitywho were not aware of this

BTW i did nt get on any high horse  , i only quoted this article

although this was news a while ago. Do you think it has stopped or is no longer happening? As you caled them outdated facts

Message 30 of 87
Latest reply