this is why Aust post needs to increase

ON THE ABC 7-30 REPORT RECENTLY, MALCOLM TURNBULL EXPLAINED WHY AN INCREASE TO $1 DOLLAR FOR A POSTAGE STAMP WAS NECESSARY.

HE NEVER MENTIONED ANY THING ABOUT THIS EYE OPENER...

Australia Post
Australia Post is a totally government owned entity and has been for about 200 years.

Recently, Australia Post announced the loss of 900 jobs, being part of a cut back program.

This is due to the decline in letters beings sent - largely due to email.

The CEO of Australia Post is Ahmed Fahour who was born in Lebanon and came to Australia in 1970.

In 2009, during the rein of Labor and PM Kevin Rudd, he was made Managing Director and CEO of Australia Post.

His salary package last year was A$4.8 million!!!!!

The top public servants in Canberra have salaries of between $665,600 and $844,800 so how does the bloke in charge of the Post Office received $4.8 million?

The Prime Minister of Australia earns a modest $507,000 considering the real burdens of office. The US President earns US$550,000 (A$757,000). The highest paid Mayor in Australia - Gold Coast City - brings in $225,000!!!

So, how on earth can the Post Office justify the massive pay of their CEO?.

Let's look further. The head of the US Postal Service with 19 times more staff and 11 times more revenue than Australia Post receives $550,000.

In France the head of their post office was paid $1.1 million with a staff compliment of 268,000 employees.

How can the CEO of the Post Office earn so much, especially when the postal service is bleeding money from letter delivery. No employee is worth A$4.8 million a year and especially not from a government owned business.
It gets worse - - -

The top ten executives in Australia Post combined earn around $20 million last year.

No matter what perspective is taken, with a loss of 900 jobs, how can A$20 million be justified for 10 'execs'!!!!

But, the salary rort is only half the story!!!

Of his A$4.8 million, Fahour donated A$2 million to the Islamic Museum of Australia (located in Melbourne).

This is a tax deductible donation, so WE TAXPAYERS are supporting the payment.

The founder and director of the Islamic Museum is Moustafa Fahour - yes, Ahmed's brother!!!!!

Moustafa's wife, Maysaa, is the chairwoman and Director.
And Fahour's sister, Samira El Khafir, manages the restaurant on site.

And, OUR letters will cost A$1 so this family can live the 'good' life!!!!!!

There is an unpleasant and some would say 'sinister' unbalanced agenda in Australia, which in the end preys on the average citizen, we the people.
We are no longer the lucky country and we are no longer wealthy and this particular game of 'Post Office rort' reveals some major fractures and faults on a number fronts in our society and culture.

Who is running the Country, who is pulling the levers and who is going to win?

We the Mugs certainly don’t look to be winners, - at this moment..... But we MUST make a stand against this rort. Australia Post was a service that we had lost. It is big now big business where the profit goes into private pockets.
The next election is around the corner.
Please pass this on. Please send it to your Federal Member of Parliament.

Message 1 of 87
Latest reply
86 REPLIES 86

@x3n0m wrote:

However, members are taking less and less notice with each re-posting as they know that it contains inaccurate information, and it isn't shocking at all.

.. now you are making things up .. the news isn't just shocking it is a disgusting feeding frenzy by well heeled swine ..

the information in the opening post, being over 12 months old, is hardly new nor news.

Message 41 of 87
Latest reply

"The head of AP gets paid millions, I don't think he should get that much, but that is obscene, not shocking."

Yeah obscene .. I will go along with that .. all enabled by our federal government .. do you see a problem yet? ..

"The head of AP is a muslim, big deal.  He supports the muslim museum, big deal.  Likewise, some of his family members support the museum and work there, big deal.  No laws have been broken."

It wouldn't matter if it was a Buddhist, Catholic or Athiest Museum .. you seem rather focused on the fact Fahour happens to be muslim .. the problem is the big end of town gets away with this stuff and the little bloke pays for it all .. that is the salient thrust of the article which whilst apparently not 100% accurate in every way according to your selective nit picking is very very close to the mark and obviously making some people very uncomfortable having this topic aired in public .. people should know what "they" are up to and the media seems reluctant to revisist this story but many of us will not forget it or let it go .. you seem determined to discredit everything about the Ops post but obviously he/she is basically attempting to regurgitate facts initially reported in the mainstream media .. you say what Fahour has done is all legal, I would call that incredibally disturbing and obviously reflects a big part of the problem the Op is conveying in his post .. you would like to downplay the importance of the story but I would like to highlight the fact that if this is the new normal then there can be no hope for our country from this point forward ..

Message 42 of 87
Latest reply

"the information in the opening post, being over 12 months old, is hardly new nor news."

The price increase at Auspost for their new deliberately manipulated slowed mail service came into effect on the 4th of January 2016 .. less then 1 month ago ,, so I am thinking you are saying we shouldn't be discussing that "old news" in a forum where people are directly affected by it?

Message 43 of 87
Latest reply

A lot of overpaid big wigs get bonuses. It's up to the individual what they do with their bonus. If they want to donate it all to charity, that's their choice. My former boss bought her home with her bonus one year. I work for the government. My pay is partially paid by the tax payer. I donate to a charity regularly. Am I bad because I donate some of my tax payer funded pay to a charity, especially as it's an animal charity, not a people one? Am I bad because I donated towards the construction of our nearly finished museum? Am I bad because I also donated towards the building of an indoor swimming pool? All those donations were from tax payers money that I'd been paid.

I don't agree one bit with the amount the CEO gets paid. I don't agree with what most CEO's get paid......or sports people for that matter, but at the end of the day, it's their choice what they do with their money. I take satisfaction in knowing that when they die, they'll be no different to me when I die. That is, dead. Their wealth will mean nothing.

Message 44 of 87
Latest reply

@x3n0m wrote:

"The head of AP gets paid millions, I don't think he should get that much, but that is obscene, not shocking."

Yeah obscene .. I will go along with that .. all enabled by our federal government .. do you see a problem yet? ..

"The head of AP is a muslim, big deal.  He supports the muslim museum, big deal.  Likewise, some of his family members support the museum and work there, big deal.  No laws have been broken."

It wouldn't matter if it was a Buddhist, Catholic or Athiest Museum .. you seem rather focused on the fact Fahour happens to be muslim .. the problem is the big end of town gets away with this stuff and the little bloke pays for it all .. that is the salient thrust of the article which whilst apparently not 100% accurate in every way according to your selective nit picking is very very close to the mark and obviously making some people very uncomfortable having this topic aired in public .. people should know what "they" are up to and the media seems reluctant to revisist this story but many of us will not forget it or let it go .. you seem determined to discredit everything about the Ops post but obviously he/she is basically attempting to regurgitate facts initially reported in the mainstream media .. you say what Fahour has done is all legal, I would call that incredibally disturbing and obviously reflects a big part of the problem the Op is conveying in his post .. you would like to downplay the importance of the story but I would like to highlight the fact that if this is the new normal then there can be no hope for our country from this point forward ..

you seem rather focused on the fact Fahour happens to be muslim

hardly, the Opening Post did that quite well.  I focused on saying that I have no problem with the information the OP posted regarding him being a muslim, nor what he does with his legally earned salary and bonuses, nor anything about his brothers or sisters and who they work for.  I do view the amount he gets paid as obscene, but I'm not going to let that occupy any more of my brain space than necessary, it won't change anything.

you seem determined to discredit everything about the Ops post

now who is making stuff up?  I haven't even spent one second checking the salary of the head of the postal service in USA or France, or any of the claims regarding other Australian public servants, or any of the other facts from the Opening Post that I haven't posted about.  You have accused me of being determined to discredit everything about the Opening Post, pfffft!

Message 45 of 87
Latest reply

I do view the amount he gets paid as obscene, but I'm not going to let that occupy any more of my brain space than necessary,

Okay .. understood ..

pfffft!

I thought you had more class than that .. obviously no use continuing debating you .. you win .. lol .. I can't match that ..

Message 46 of 87
Latest reply

@x3n0m wrote:

.. when you do find the article/interview (which I would also like to view)

okay, having tracked down the eBay forum post that appears to be the origin of much of the Opening Post information, I went looking for the Malcolm Turnbull interview on the ABC 7.30 Report.  Not sure if this is the interview in question, but the first 3 minutes 06 seconds is Communication Minister Malcolm Turnbull discussing the stamp price rise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh_zk-nHY90

In those 3 or so minutes he states that:

- AP lost $1.5 billion on its letter service between 2008 and early 2015 (video was posted 3rd March 2015)

- 95-97% of letters sent originate from business and government

- Concession card holder stamps will continue to be available (50 per year at 60c each)

- Christmas Card stamps will be 65 cents and available in November and December (unlimited quantities)

- Concession stamps and Christmas Card rate items represent about half of the non-business/government mail per year

Message 47 of 87
Latest reply

the video was posted on youtube on 3rd March 2015, so the interview was some time before that.  Any posting that states "ON THE ABC 7-30 REPORT RECENTLY, MALCOLM TURNBULL EXPLAINED WHY AN INCREASE TO $1 DOLLAR FOR A POSTAGE STAMP WAS NECESSARY" is clearly a stretch in terms of giving an indication of when the interview took place.  It was almost a year ago, hardly "recent".

This is one of the problems of cutting and pasting another poster's post and presenting it as your own without looking for the original source.  If I could locate the original sources of the text, then others should do so before posting they cut and paste.

Message 48 of 87
Latest reply

is clearly a stretch in terms of giving an indication of when the interview took place.  It was almost a year ago, hardly "recent".

you established that point numerous times now .. but Turnbull is talking about the postal increase we just suffered so is obviously relevant to the subject at hand .. and just to be arguementative recent is a non specific time frame so you havn't quite nailed that one ..

That interview was hilarious I must admit especially with 20 20 hindsight  .. turnbull (such a fitting name too) really is the all time master of spin and BS, in fact the perfect mouthpiece for the Liberal Party .. good grief he really gets going at the 6min 50seconds mark .. shameless ..  I wish they could replay parts of that interview again for the general public to see .. embarrassing and bet the Liberal Party would like to muzzle youtube for their lefty views if that video goes viral .. lol .. one for the scrapbook .. many thanks ,,

Message 49 of 87
Latest reply

And are we really meant to believe that the intent of the January 4th Auspost Letter-Rate fiasco is to send a price signal for people and businesses to stop posting letters? .. if that is true "they" are obviously deliberately vandalising the letter rate segment of Auspost's business .. quite hard to swallow .. lol .. and Tippy Toe you may be interested in that interview too as they talk about deliberately slowing letter rate postage .. I do find it fascinating that Fahour petitioned for a $1 letter rate and the government decided to ignore the advise of their appointed golden boy auspost CEo and give an additional 50 cent priority stamp on top .. my conscious mind is telling me it is all lies and Turnull is full of it .Now that I think of it all again .. it really isn't that funny .. **** shakes head and wanders off to sleepy bye bye in the hope my subconscious is able to digest this and make some semblance of sense of the mumbo jumbo blather I just watched twice in disbelief, ****

Message 50 of 87
Latest reply