why do people have to be so rude

I just received my first neg in 12 months, buyer purchased an item of which for the life of me I could not find in my stock and so naturally I contacted the buyer on several occasions offered her another colour at a reduced price and stil no contact so promptly refunded

that was several weeks ago and now I get a neg

my reply

very nasty over honest mistake, offered other colour no contact promptly refunded

would it have hurt for the buyer to have the decency to at least have contacted me

all this over 24.95 ... sorry but I have a better grip on reality 

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@thecatspjs wrote:

Yup, I agree with your sentiments.

Nonetheless, when i stuff up I do not lament how rude people even if they are most hideous and horrible cause I stuffed up and they are bigtime  PO - I move into damage control - as I am fairly sure you do too.

Indeed I do, and for all I said above, more often than not the buyer will get something more or for free for my errors.

I've never been completely out of stock of anything yet, but I have come up short of a quantity ordered, and in those cases I refund a portion, send what I do have, along with a sample of similar items, then send the remaining quantity when new stock has arrived. 

If I were to give the OP any advice to consider for the future, it would be to make your decisions and communications require as little input from the buyer as possible (i.e. provide options, then state the action you will take if you can't confirm a preference by X date). That's not to suggest the options you offer shouldn't be flexible or negotiable, just that you take a situation when you had less control and turn it into one where you still have some.

eg in the above scenarios, I messaged the buyer, informed them about the situation, explained what I have done to compensate and that they will shortly receive a refund, allow for any substitutes to be returned at my expense if it turns out they're not wanted for any reason - easy enough for me, my items all go as large letters - provide an ETA for the remaining quantity, then let them know I'm happy to discuss an alternative option if they would prefer. 

This sort of follow up is what I got once from a Chinese seller, and I was so darn impressed that I adopted it myself, and it's kind of expensive, so my stock control is getting better. Smiley LOL

View solution in original post

Message 32 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

cq_tech
Community Member
I'm afraid this is the new breed of eBay buyer. Selfish beyond belief and no consideration for anybody but themselves. Now you know why so many sellers have packed up and given eBay the flick, and the worst thing is that eBay actually sides with them against the seller. So much for loyalty for those who pay all of eBay's bills.
Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

yes I totally agree ... whereas I used to enjoy selling on ebay, now I am finding the whole process a bit unrealistic, don't get me wrong I still have some great buyers which I suppose is why I am still here but it will no doubt be the few that see to my demise of trading on ebay with their senseless defects ... oh well I shall simply go with the flow and source other avenues to sell my stock
Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

Trying to figure out why other people do things you wouldn't is a recipe for spending energy on frustrating yourself, to no good end... (so says I, anyway Smiley LOL ).

For some, no matter how well you handle a situation, their assessment is based on one thing, and one thing alone - the fact that they didn't get the item they wanted. I was reading a thread elsewhere yesterday, started by a buyer asking for advice on the kind of FB to leave a seller who had to cancel their order. They stated quite openly they wanted to leave the lowest rating possible, because even though they were a seller and understood that their seller did the best they could in the circumstances, they were so upset that they didn't get the item they just wanted to hurt the seller, so for them it wasn't about the money, but the item. For sellers, it's easy to consider a transaction on a monetary level, because that's what we get out of it, but for the buyer that's what they're handing over and we don't know what else they might be investing in a purchase (in a non-monetary way, that is). 

I'm not saying everyone is like that, or that I would consider all non-monetary investments in a purchase reasonable... : X

Some people just don't understand or view FB the same way, which is why you see some that are irrelevant to what's truly important, eg product review that isn't about the quality of the item or service, just whether or not the buyer liked it. 

Sorry about the neg. 😞

Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

There is no need for anyone to treat others rudely.

Buyers do get annoyed when they buy something that is out of stock though. It also gives the seller a defect now if they can't supply the item sold...so best to take action so that doesn't happen again.

Sellers shouldn't expect a buyer to be happy with a different colour choice either.

Buyers do treat  the feedback system like product reviews (some big online retailers have an option to leave a product review, so maybe that is where it is coming from).

Message 5 of 37
Latest reply

If I chose a pair of shoes from a colour selection of black, white, and brown,  then purchased the brown ones online, I wouldn't be impressed if the seller replied with "No brown ones available, I can send white ones instead."

Message 6 of 37
Latest reply

well maybe it is just me however as a buyer myself I do understand sellers can make mistakes and when explained the details of why a transaction is to be cancelled I do not think I would throw a tantrum so to speak, I don't see anything wrong in a seller trying to compensate the buyer in offering another colour option, it was simply an option of another colour or refund, no issue ... no person I know of is perfect and it is only on ebay that I find so much judgement, when I buy from other online stores outside of ebay I don't even think of things like feedback star ratings etc but then that's just me ... the world still revolves
Message 7 of 37
Latest reply

I always found eBay to have **bleep**py buyers all the time. I expect it and while I sell in quanities of 100's a day I seem to expect it negatives here and then. I do my best to try and avoid it as much as possible, but you will always get some **bleep**py buyers. Its best to just forget about the negative, stop taking pride over a silly percentage and keep selling. My negs are mostly because of items not arrived or that $1 items are not of premium quality. If all my negative buyers actually think that I do post within 1 day and I do not have magical powers to control the whole world shipping process or that expecting something that $1 is what you get and paid for, I would be at 100%.

Alas I live in an imperfect world and eBay has simply made it harder for alot of us small sellers. However my business modal allows me to cop this and still offer refunds while still retaining a TRS.

Message 8 of 37
Latest reply

I don't thinka seller should expect the buyer to accept a different colour (they can offer one but it is not a solution to the issue of the desired item being out of stock/not available). They may have bought that colour shorts to match the colour range of their tops they wear.

Sellers who can't deliver the items buyers have bought are in the hit line now for defects since the new changes.

Message 9 of 37
Latest reply

it was not expected, it was simply offered another colour at a reduced price or a refund ...
Message 10 of 37
Latest reply