Clunes Booktown

Did anyone go today, wondering what it was like this year?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Clunes Booktown

Hi Dave--shame there is nothing like that closer to us.

--maybe you could start one ?................................................Richo.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Clunes Booktown

I didn't go, but someone sent me this blog today, not sure who wrote it or where its from. This issue must be a major frustration for sellers/buyers at Clune

Why we need the NBN.

Over the weekend I visited the Clunes โ€˜Booktownโ€™ festival (an annual event where new and secondhand booksellers come from all round Australia to Clunes for a two day festival). Clunes is about 20 minutes north of Ballarat and has a population of about 1,500 which swells to about 10,000 over the two days.

Many booksellers I dealt with did not have EFTPOS facilities for two reasons: 1. the wifi connection was too unreliable and 2. the wifi options were too expensive.

Several people commented to me that their sales were affected as they could not process electronic payments and that *if* there was a decent internet connection i.e. the NBN then they would be able to offer this service.

Even the 4G network coverage was woeful. There was only one ATM in town.

I am considering writing several letters including to our Communications Minister outlining my experiences over the weekend and stating that we require a fast, fully government owned network that provides decent coverage to people anytime anywhere

It surely canโ€™t be that difficult.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Clunes Booktown

the mobile coverage was always a problem in Clunes.

The weather would have been gorgeous for it in the Mad Max street scape.

I miss going their, the pricing was what turned us off after paying to get there with your books and the accomodation, the fees totally kill it for such small space allocations. 

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Clunes Booktown

Sad, and I bet those who complained voted for the liberals

shrug

Dave

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Clunes Booktown

You're not implying that a 19th century solution to 21st century communication is inadequate are you Dave?

roflmao

Call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye - Don Henley
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Clunes Booktown

I think they have far more elligble sites for NBN than Clunes population 1,500 or up to 10,000 on 2 days of the year.

I think most shop keepers and temporary stall holders would just like mobile coverage.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply