Matthew Reilly's Contest - Original edition

Hey guys, first post and everything.

I was just wondering, how much would you be prepared to bid if someone posted a first-edition copy of Contest?
Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

On Reilly's site

Following rejections from all the major publishers, Matthew self-published Contest in 1996, printing 1000 copies. Copying the glossy covers of big international blockbusters, Matthew produced a big-budget-looking novel. He sold the book throughout Sydney, one bookshop at a time.
‘I knew Contest had the goods,’ Matthew said, ‘and I just wanted to get it noticed. I knew that publishers checked out book shops so that’s where I needed my book to be.’
Sure enough, in January 1997, Cate Paterson, then commissioning editor for Pan Macmillan Australia’s mass-market fiction division, walked into Angus & Robertson’s Pitt Street Mall store and bought a copy of Contest. She enjoyed it enormously and tracked Matthew down through his contact details in the front of the book.
Cate was thrilled to find Matthew working on his next novel, Ice Station. Based on Contest and the first few chapters of this new novel, Cate signed Matthew for a two-book deal with Pan Macmillan Australia.

Interestingly, those original self-published editions of Contest have now become much sought after collectors’ items. One recently sold on eBay for $1200!

Dave

Message 11 of 36
Latest reply

Last week went to a Matthew Reilly book signing.  Wish I had one of those original first 1000 copies to get signed.  (Ah, one can dream! Smiley Happy )

Message 12 of 36
Latest reply

I  managed to find one before MR became popular & got him to sign it - even he commented on how rare they are.

Message 13 of 36
Latest reply

Over the last ten years I've seen about half a dozen sold on eBay.  The prices have been between $600 to $1,600. from what I can assume now is that most of the 'available' copies have now found their home in genuine collections and there are less available now. The last I recall seeing was around three years ago so $2,000 now might be a realistic price.

When looking at signed copies, there is a line of discussion whether the signature increases or decreases a copy? i.e. is it now more valuable because the author has signed it or is it now tarnished as its not as pristine...

The best advice I would offer is when getting an author to sign, ask them to do something different rather than the standard signature.

Message 14 of 36
Latest reply

@wuntwowun wrote:

Over the last ten years I've seen about half a dozen sold on eBay.  The prices have been between $600 to $1,600. from what I can assume now is that most of the 'available' copies have now found their home in genuine collections and there are less available now. The last I recall seeing was around three years ago so $2,000 now might be a realistic price.

When looking at signed copies, there is a line of discussion whether the signature increases or decreases a copy? i.e. is it now more valuable because the author has signed it or is it now tarnished as its not as pristine...

The best advice I would offer is when getting an author to sign, ask them to do something different rather than the standard signature.

I've never heard that one before. My instinct is that a signature triples the price. And I don't think I'm alone.

Especially for first editions, especially for first editions of the author's first book.

How can an author signing a copy of a limited print run detract from the value?

I sold a signed 1st of a Slim Dusty autobiography for $170 recently. I would have been lucky to get $20 unsigned.

Call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye - Don Henley
Message 15 of 36
Latest reply

I have heard this train of thought.Apparently it has happened on a Gold and Ghosts volume.The story I heard was someone bought a vol and De Haviland signed it and the buyer asked for a another copy without and writing in it.He wanted it unmarked.

Almost always a signed authenticated sig is worth more than a book without

Dave 

Message 16 of 36
Latest reply

Hi there,

I saw your comment on a thread about Contest by Matthew Reilly. I have one of the original 1000 copies, signed by the author. Do you know where the best place would be to sell this?

Kind Regards

Nana

Message 17 of 36
Latest reply

Message 18 of 36
Latest reply

Definately not a used bookstore nor a antiquarian one.The likihood of you even getting close to the value is nil.

My advice would be to look on the rare book sites addall abe etc search then plonk it on here or your own website if you have one then start the waiting game.

Dave

Message 19 of 36
Latest reply

I picked up another Contest First Edition today & I've decided to auction it starting at $1000... Got my fingers crossed that I get some Fiji spending money.

Message 20 of 36
Latest reply