Thoughts on selling fiction books in bulk?

I have a number of fiction books - some HC some PB - that I am trying to sell (on another ID). Because of the high cost of postage (presumably the reason for lack of sales), I started grouping books into sets of 4 or 5 by the same author (and usually with the same lead character), and posting them in a 3kg satchel. At the price I Iisted, this worked out at between $5 to $6.25 per book.  Still no sales.

I have checked completed listings by the same authors, and those that have sold are usually single books, sold for $7 to $10+ each, including postage.

Is it better to list the books singly?

I know that if the books weigh under 500g and are less than 2cm thick, they can be posted a lot cheaper as a letter. But it seems most of my books don't fill one or both of these criteria, so they have to be posted as parcels

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

go-tazz
Community Member

I sold my last lot in a bulk package as IMHO postage makes the cost too high for single books once they go over

the 20 mm letter rate,(there are buyers out there but will they pay the high postage cost?).

Even the two I have listed aren't getting much attention,(on BF the lowest for the 1862 book is $80 and I can't

even get a bid at $2.99),shok.gif

Same goes for the comics,Who knows.gif

Hopefully I'll have sold the few things I have left by the end of the year and this ID will go back to a buying ID

only,(it's mainly being things that I've had sitting around for years so it's good to have the major part of it gone),

good.gif

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

My feeling is that books are better sold as a bulk lot to make postage cost per book acceptable. But even having done this, I can't sell them. Less than half a dozen views on each and no watchers.

I'm listing them at $25 for four books including postage in 3kg satchel. Is this too much? It would mean if I actually sold them I would make about $2 per book. ($25 - cost of satchel - ebay and Paypal fees) If I dropped the price any lower, they wouldn't be worth listing.

Perhaps I'll just give them to a charity shop.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

@egglesdtp wrote:

My feeling is that books are better sold as a bulk lot to make postage cost per book acceptable. But even having done this, I can't sell them. Less than half a dozen views on each and no watchers.

I'm listing them at $25 for four books including postage in 3kg satchel. Is this too much? It would mean if I actually sold them I would make about $2 per book. ($25 - cost of satchel - ebay and Paypal fees) If I dropped the price any lower, they wouldn't be worth listing.

Perhaps I'll just give them to a charity shop.

You can only try and see if it works,(it costs me nothing to list but books are one item that I'll be cutting back

on).

I had a clear out a few weeks ago and three boxes of books and around 80 brand new magazines went to the

Op shop as it's just not worth the hassle to list them,(can't get a halve decent price for them so what's the point

of listing them),blush-1.gif

If certain items don't sell after the three free re-list then they'll go the same way,(it will be a lot less hassle

then "giving" them away on here).good.gif

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

I offer combined postage, but most of my sales of over 20mm books are for $5-6 and postage is $7.65.

I DO have books in my ID, so maybe that makes a difference? I also look at the total (postage included) price others are selling for and try to pitch at a bit above the run-to-the-bottom sellers.

Call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye - Don Henley
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply