Trumpet ID please!!

we have been given a trumpet to sell; it is in its original case we believe, and has the serial number  on the trumpet 885031, and T602 USA and on the one mouthpiece is: Frank Holton & Co 7C. Any help in ID would be appreciated as searching on the net has found many Frank Horton trumpets but not that particular serial number. thank you

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Trumpet ID please!!

Absolutely. Trumpets and Cornets are very similar instruments and it's often difficult to tell them apart. The fact that yours is notated as a T602 indicates that it's definitely a trumpet but the mouthpiece with it could very well be the one originally supplied, as they are all interchangeable.

The other thing I neglected to mention is that you may be able to glean further information if you are in a position to take it to the Conservatorium Of Music in your capital city, with Sydney obviously being the pick of them (and not just because my father once taught there, either). 😉

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Trumpet ID please!!

Thank you very much

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Trumpet ID please!!

cq_tech
Community Member
There is quite a lot of useful information regarding Holton brass instruments on the 'net, although I'm not having any luck with the supplied serial number either. However, The notation on the mouthpiece indicates that it is definitely a Holton Cornet, almost certainly manufactured at the Elkhorn, Wisconsin factory sometime during the 1950s or 1960s.

Referencing the serial number against its date of manufacture is considerably more difficult and if you're really interested in finding out, I suggest you try to contact somebody through http://www.holtonloyalist.com/index.htm as they may be able to provide you with the information you require.

As to its current value, the list price of a T602 Holton Trumpet is $1099, but it can be found at discount stores for about $699. A good rule of thumb for a used instrument is about 1/2 of that cost, or about $350. Of course, if it was owned or played by somebody like Dizzy Gillespie and you can provide the provenance, it could be worth thousands.
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Trumpet ID please!!

Thank you, will visit the website you mention. One more question, the piece is a trumpet but the mouth piece is a 'cornet'... Scuse my ignorance but can the mouth piece be used with the trumpet?
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Trumpet ID please!!

Absolutely. Trumpets and Cornets are very similar instruments and it's often difficult to tell them apart. The fact that yours is notated as a T602 indicates that it's definitely a trumpet but the mouthpiece with it could very well be the one originally supplied, as they are all interchangeable.

The other thing I neglected to mention is that you may be able to glean further information if you are in a position to take it to the Conservatorium Of Music in your capital city, with Sydney obviously being the pick of them (and not just because my father once taught there, either). 😉
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Trumpet ID please!!

Thank you very much
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply