$3 Auctions & No relists for business sellers in OZ

Picked myself off the floor when I saw the new fees for $3 for auctions (not in collectable category).

What the ??

Business sellers are already penalised for being a business by having no access to auto relists.

Now a store auction is going to cost me double the price - um **bleep** is the rationale behind that ?

Started a new thread as other current fee change thread seems pretty focused on new store fees & is going to get very very long.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

certainly not targetting the "hobby" or "mom & dad" sellers or low volume non-store sellers, unless they sell a few items that sell for over $2525 with the increase in max FVF from $250 to $400.

Not a good announcement for sellers that will be affected.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

From eBay fact sheet in seller centre:

"The auction insertion fees used to be $1.50 for items under $1.00 and $3.50 for items over $100. We have worked hard to streamline the pricing structure of auctions for our store sellers so that there is one rather than two prices, especially for categories that convert better using the Buy It Now function".  

If this was indeed the case, then why do non-stores get access to FREE auctions ?  If

What is the reason for this level of market interference ?

In the US store packages include FREE auctions in additional categories - and their market is far more flooded with the eligbile category than the Oz market is.

And pray tell.... how the heck has eBay worked hard to do this ? it had four selling platform options ... it still has four selling platforms ...

edited to ask why the heck did the size of my font end up so large ...Cat LOL  I didn't change any thing I did at my end ...

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Micro-managing at its worst, IMHO.

Ridiculous and not remotely believeable eBay spin / excuses aside ("worked hard" to come up with $3 across the board?? holy wow, yeah that's real hard work, I'm surprised I'm not dead due to exhaustion from the days I've had to price my products, but I digress....), the end result is clear discouragement for stores to list as auctions, except in their (eBay's) selected categories. Granted, there may well be categories that convert better as BINs, but that doesn't categorically rule out a store from being consistently more (or even just as) successful with the auction format in other categories. I don't understand the harm in a store using whichever format fits their own business the most. Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

BINs sell better on eBay because they have driven the markeplace that way and killed the auction market in the process of pushing BINs.  

I would not have such an issue with it, if stores were able to access the same 40 Free Auction Listings that non-store IDs have, without having to set up seperate IDs.   Having to run multiple non-store IDs is just not good for small business growth (or their operators)  to have to operate in this bizarre manner.  

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

@thecatspjs wrote:

BINs sell better on eBay because they have driven the markeplace that way and killed the auction market in the process of pushing BINs.  

I would not have such an issue with it, if stores were able to access the same 40 Free Auction Listings that non-store IDs have, without having to set up seperate IDs.   Having to run multiple non-store IDs is just not good for small business growth (or their operators)  to have to operate in this bizarre manner.  

While this is true, auctions still work well on some products. I still regularly run auctions of collectibles on our non- store account and find they work much better than BINs. If the item is rare, the auction forces potential buyers to bid as they will miss out to some-one else if they don't. It puts a rigid time frame and sense of urgency on the buyer which is not so prevalent on BINS.

What direction is ebay pushing sellers into with the doubling of fees for auctions ?

I would guess that the majority of auctions are for used items, with BINS being well suited to new items. Combine this with recent ebay announcements encouraging sellers to move away from selling single listing items to multiple listing items ( more than one of the same product for sale ) and it appears ebay is upping the pressure on sellers of used, one off items in favour of new mass produced items.

It only takes a quick read of other threads to see the devastating effect these changes will have on some highly respected, proffesional sellers such as the seller who is found in Australia    Smiley Wink     Ebay will be very much poorer, bland and boring if sellers such as this are forced from the platform..........Smiley Sad  

The changes are another nail in the coffin of my business model, along with many other sellers here I suspect. If sellers don't start taking the fairly obvious ebay hints now and make changes or move on, it could all get very uncomfortable for them very soon.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Their brains must be so sore and exhausted after working so hard to come up with $3 listing fees!

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Not really as they have just doubled their fee lol

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

@thecatspjs wrote:

While this is true, auctions still work well on some products. I still regularly run auctions of collectibles on our non- store account and find they work much better than BINs. If the item is rare, the auction forces potential buyers to bid as they will miss out to some-one else if they don't. It puts a rigid time frame and sense of urgency on the buyer which is not so prevalent on BINS.

I agree. Auctions work better because the market decides and a buyer trusts this more than a seller setting the price.  It certainly was that way with used clothing - prices of sought after items were pushed up.   Now prices in this market have been driven by, by combined stores buy-it-nows and newbies and casual sellers with freebie listings starting auctions so low that it has served to devalue those brands.

I understand the consumer push for buy-it-now at good prices for new goods.  But not for a range of second hand categories.  In the US eBay seem to get this, and have additional auction categories included in store categories, that are not available in Oz.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

@thecatspjs wrote:

Or is it more that eBay really want to only sell New items and get away from used, preowned etc and into the commodity market?. 

For example I would rather sell new DVDs as BIN, the market price is pretty much set, however, what do you price a used DVD, an auction is the best way to find out.  I use DVDs as an example but I think you could apply the same to most commodity type items

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 10 of 19
Latest reply