paypal asked for id and change of password-now locked out! scam?

I went to make an online purchase through ebay a couple of days ago but my paypal transaction failed to work.

they said I had to send ID due to suspicious behaviour (or something like that).

so i took a pic of my drivers licence and sent it.

they then asked me to change my password.

so I did.

I tried logging back in with the new password but its not recognised, neither is the last one I had.

This all happened through ebay, not via an email.

funny thing is I got an email around the same time that said this:

We need your help to resolved your account
Login Now

We've noticed significant changes in your account activity

Dear Client,

We wanted to let you know your account has been limited because we've noticed significant changes in your account activity. As your payment processor, we need to understand these changes better. for this we limit the activity on your account, until this issue is resolved.

What do next :

Log in to your account and provide the requested information. If we don't receive this information, we will be unable to remove this limitation. Once we receive and review your documentation, we will email you regarding the status of your account.

For more information, Please log in to PayPal and see the section limited.

Login To Your Account 

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. If you need further assistance, please click Contact at the bottom of any PayPal page.

Sincerely,
PayPal

my attention was immediately drawn to the first sentance containing bad grammar.

also the address was from: service@intl paypal.com  but when you clicked on the address to reply this came up:

"service@intl.paypal.com" <mamacinte@dimapals.com>

should I be concerned that my paypal accojunt has been hacked?

I've emailed ebay but no reply.

I cant email paypal because you need to log in to send an email!

they said I would recieve an email in a couple of days after the ID had been processed.

I sent the ID yesterday along with the required change of password.

Im in the Philippines at the moment and need to order items to be sent to Australia for when I return there.

only option I have is to call but that will cost a lot and im sure wont resolve anything.

I hope someone can offer some advice!

cheers,

Phil.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

hi Phil

I'm sorry to hear this.

Your PayPal account has most certainly been compromised. Please phone PayPal immediately.

They can only discuss account information with the account owner.

Also, run all your virus checks.

I hope you get it all sorted out so quickly.
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Go to your PayPal account right now, click "Log In", then "Have trouble logging in?", and arrange for a new password to be sent to your e-mail address.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

My advice is that you need to know that PayPal and Ebay or any other company will never ask you for your ID

or passwords or any personal information.

So I would be changing all passwords and even setting up new email accounts.

All the best.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

eBay and/or PayPal will never address you as "Dear Client" or "Dear User".  Both companies will always address you by your registered account name.

The email you received is what's known as "phishing"  (for your personal details and login etc) and should be forwarded to phishing@paypal.com.au.  Then mark it as SPAM and delete it from your email account.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

@ammie636rocks wrote:

I went to make an online purchase through ebay a couple of days ago but my paypal transaction failed to work.

they said I had to send ID due to suspicious behaviour (or something like that).

so i took a pic of my drivers licence and sent it.

they then asked me to change my password.

so I did.

You have effectively handed your details to a scammer....your driver's licence goes a long way to facilitating identity theft.

You need to change all your passwords, email addresses and possibly even bank accounts...if your paypal account has been breached they have access to the bank details you have stored there.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

also, if you happen to receive emails from big companies such as these saying your account is compromised - do not click any links in the email and then enter your username / password. you should always type the URL or internet address which you know for the website into your browser and log in however you normally do. (ie go to http://www.paypal.com.au).

these "phishing" emails will generally link you to a website which looks the same or similar to the legitimate website but is just there for the purpose of stealing your login credentials. once they have them, they change them and essentially lock you out of your real account. 

paypal do actually send emails if your account has been compromised or they notice suspicious activity - but they will never ask you in the email to email them any credentials or proof of identity directly to them. they will tell you to log in via the website as you normally would and submit the required identification through a secure form. 

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

I had an email from Paypal recently saying I needed to change my password.

So I tried to log into Paypal, got told to change my password, did, and all is sweet.

The difference is the email WAS from Paypal and I used the Paypal site, not a link, to change my password.

The process the OP should have used.

Internet Security 101. Which the government and many other sources recommend. Can't help stupid.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply