Australian Tax Office requirements

Some time ago Ebay informed everyone that it must advise the ATO of all sellers that had sales in excess of $20,000 pa.  Recently I heard that the ATO has asked Ebay to advise them of all sellers that have sold in excess of $10,000 pa.  Has anyone else heard of this and if so when did Ebay send out the advice.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 96
Latest reply
95 REPLIES 95

Scam because 10k threshold is proposal read it... and then why as a seller and buyer selling 4k get the email, its been used to worry sellers based on policy potential.. etc... anyway lets see what happens probably nothing....
Message 31 of 96
Latest reply

The Lady that i spoke to at ebay said that the sender of the original email uses these types of emails to gather information ?? There are links to click on in the email so who knows what site they direct you to and what questions they ask  ? Cheers Brett

Message 32 of 96
Latest reply

yes agreed, its good though,, coz the policy announcement re ATO was on the 4th April,, and email 4th, yet policy states will request, not has requested, etc,, i always get emails like this..so do my friends,, the links may work,, but ebay would know surely and not keep saying spoof over the phone, in facebook etc etc... we know they share information for sure, and when the 20k threshold was announced it was all over the newspapers etc,, this nothing,,, i am thinking about closing down ebat because trust of details etc,,
Message 33 of 96
Latest reply

I think you will find, hobby or not, you must declare ALL INCOME to the ATO (and Centrelink if applicable).

It is up to them to determine whether or not you have a tax liability, not you. And $20k turnover would generally generate some income. Which would be taxable, unless all sales were of personal possessions. Or you have no other income and fall into the tax free bracket.

The text of the announcement by the ATO has been posted, so whether you think the email is a spoof is irrelevant. If your turnover was more than $10k in either of the last 2 years, your details WILL be given to the ATO.

Closing up shop won't make any difference.

Message 34 of 96
Latest reply

My greatest concern is the obvious lack of security at ebay which has somehow allowed somebody to obtain the membership details and account information of so many of their users.

That in itself is more than enough reason to avoid ebay like the plague. 😞
Message 35 of 96
Latest reply

Here is a question what is the number for Customer enquiries on Ebay... Anyone know?

Message 36 of 96
Latest reply

Agreed , The concern is about details personal,, but hey its the internet nothing is safe when there are about 4 billion users of it...
Message 37 of 96
Latest reply

@pradox222 wrote:

Here is a question what is the number for Customer enquiries on Ebay... Anyone know?

Ebay's customer support phone number is 1800 322 928 (or +61 2 8031 8562) but you still need to go through the "Customer Support" tab at the top right of this page as you'll require the one-time only passcode which ebay will provide.

Alternatively, you can enter your own phone number and ebay will call you back within the time specified (which varies according to how busy they are at the time). There is also an option to engage them in an on-line chat if you prefer, as you then get to retain a plain text transcript of the entire conversation.

Message 38 of 96
Latest reply

OK thanks have just spoken with Ebay Management for 15 minutes using my legal knowledge... the email is fake and phishing and beig investigated..... they categorically stated this to me, and were advised Friday internally, hey were shocked too.... anyway i am taking their word on this matter now.. but hey ATO will still data match records...
Message 39 of 96
Latest reply

excuse my poor writing.....
Message 40 of 96
Latest reply