Blocking australians

I just heard on the news that ebay wants to block Australians.

I am in shock.

I am one Australian that is saddened about this news.

Although i don't always get my orders, most of the time I do. 

One time my order was sent back to the seller and they never told me. 

So they kept my order and money. 

I love ebay it will definitely have an impact on my life if I am not allowed to use ebay anymore. 

Please vote here to keep ebay for us Australians. 

Regards Elly from Sydney. 

Spoiler
Proudly Australian 

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Blocking australians

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It is only a possible solution to the issue of the government wanting to collect GST on all imports.

Ebay MAY decide to block Australian from buying from overseas sellers.   There has never been any suggestion that I know of to close down ebay Australia.

There are plenty of other ways to buy from overseas sellers if this does happen.  Ebay is quite a small player in the overseas buying by Australians.

If you don't get your items or they are not as described why don't you just open a dispute and get a refund?  There is no need to lose any money on items that do not arrive as described.

Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

Blocking australians

gst on ebay what a joke say i buy a item from the us that i cant get in aus for $25us add $25us shipping

i would end paying 10% gst on $50us but the item really cost $25us.

i would just buy from other sites,i  hope ebay shut overseas buying down , as if the goverment need more of our money to waste!!!! 

Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

Blocking australians

This does not just affect ebay....they want to collect the GST on all imported goods.

There are submissions going to the government on how this should be implemented and ebay has just reacted with their typical hype.

As I understand it the GST is only going to be on the item price, not the postage component until the item reaches the current $1000 limit and then the current rules will apply.

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

Blocking australians

caryns
Community Member

This is just going to open a real can of worms. GST is only payable on BRAND NEW items and the argument could easily be made that what you are buying in a lot of cases is 2nd hand and therefore GST is not applicable. I buy a lot of clothes from America because of the lack of choice in plus-sizes here and 90% of the time the clothes are second-hand.

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

Blocking australians

GST is payable on second hand items.

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

Blocking australians

thats right we already pay gst on second hand goods,

wreakers car parts

auctions for used goods ect

overseas postage is a service so the gst will apply

Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

Blocking australians

GST currently applies to internal postage but it is my understanding that it does not apply to overseas postage.

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

Blocking australians

There are plenty of other places to buy online. If eBay did block Australian buyers (& don't want our business) that's their perogative.

If you still felt the need to buy on eBay you can set up an overseas address via a reshipping company (who take receipt of the goods and forward them to your Australian address).

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply