Important: “Netflix tax” effective 1 July 2017

Hi there,

I just received this email from eBay saying the following:

From 1 July 2017, Goods and Services Tax (GST) will apply to fees on eBay.com.au, due to new legislation in Australia (the "Netflix Tax").

Businesses registered for GST will not be affected by this change if you register your Australian Business Number (ABN) with eBay here.

More information on this new legislation can be found here.

... so, apparently if you are registered for GST you can register with eBay for an "exemption" of GST on the eBay fees.  Why is this?  If I'm registered for GST, shouldn't I be paying GST on the fees?  Why would I be exempt?  I don't understand what this means.

I tried clicking the "More information" link, but it just goes to eBay.com.au home page (?)

Anyone have any idea what this is about?

Thanks!

Matt.

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Received the same..I think that it is suspicious.I wasn't named in the introduction and it is not in "my messages "

Message 2 of 50
Latest reply

@brumby45 wrote:

Received the same..I think that it is suspicious.I wasn't named in the introduction and it is not in "my messages "

I think the email is legit as the link to "register your GST number" is valid and goes to a valid eBay page - I just can't make any sense out of why I would be exempt...

Message 3 of 50
Latest reply

Ebay clearly states that all emails will show in "my messages "

Message 4 of 50
Latest reply

Nothing in messages or Ebay announcements. I wouldn't  be clicking onto anything from the email,  until we know for certain. 

Message 5 of 50
Latest reply

It is definitely legit, I'm trying to get answers from someone through chat at eBay now - they definitely know about it, although I haven't got any answers yet!

Message 6 of 50
Latest reply

Okay, thanks

Message 7 of 50
Latest reply

Hi there..Any answer as yet..Wouldn't be convinced that whoever you were talking new anything about the email.

Message 9 of 50
Latest reply