No shipping address, what do I do?

Hi all, long tme no post. I have a curly one for you all.

A buyer recently won and item from me and there is no shipping address for them at Ebay or at Paypal, they paid with Paypal.

All the info that I have is from the order details which reads this...

Collection address - Directions
BIG W
CnC BIG W Campbelltown
eCP:GURDJDJY Gilchrest Rd
Ambarvale NSW 2560
Australia

I have messaged the buyer for an address and awaiting their reply.
So my question is. Is this a problem buyer? and how do I protect myself as a seller if they do supply me with an address?

Thanks.
Regards fishingpal.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I need to add that I'm in Western Australia.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

That is a Click and Collect address.

I've just checked your listings; all of them offer Click & Collect, so you're obviously opted in (probably without realising it).

Read about Selling with Click & Collect.

“When a buyer chooses Click & Collect, we automatically update the delivery address to that of their chosen collection location (Woolworths, BIG W or ParcelPoint location). A unique identifier, known as an eCP code, will also be added to the address to make sure your parcel is properly processed.

Simply print your label, making sure the eCP code is clearly visible, and post your package as usual. When it's ready for collection, we'll notify the buyer.”

If you don't want to offer Click & Collect, you can opt out. (Many sellers are not aware that they're opted in, as it's done without their knowledge.)

“If you'd prefer not to offer a Click & Collect service for your buyers, you can opt out altogether, or exclude certain listings. To opt out of Click & Collect completely, go to My eBay > Site preferences > Click & Collect and select opt-out. You can opt back in at any time.”

Spoiler

eBay hypes up Click & Collect and makes it sound like a seller advantage to offer it, but in actual fact many buyers absolutely hate it, and will never use it again after a bad experience. Bad experiences include never receiving the eCP code - without which they can't collect the item - but for others the code was received but when they went to collect the parcel, the staff didn't know where it was.

Also, buyers often confuse eBay's Click & Collect with major sellers' Click & Collect - two very different things. I think the use of the term on eBay is inappropriate because of the differences. The major issue is that buyers expect an item listed on eBay as having Click & Collect enabled to cost them nothing. After all, thinks the buyer - I'm going to pick it up, and why would I do that AND pay postage? They don't seem to realise that the seller is still posting out the item, and thus postage fee is still required... It's just that the delivery address, instead of being the buyer's, is a designated Click & Collect pickup point - which includes Woolworths stores, Big W, or ParcelPoint locations.

In contrast, Click & Collect as used outside eBay means that the buyer picks up the item from the seller - e.g., from David Jones or Myer or The Good Guys or Harvey Norman or any of the major sellers who often have multiple stores. This saves the buyer the cost of postage, plus it cuts out the time taken by delivery. Neither factor applies in eBay Click & Collect.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

As said you can choose to opt out of Click n Collect.

But in this case send to the C&C point as it was in your listings.

Some buyers don't have an address that services will deliver to.

I have heard stories of the C&C store not being able to find parcels and telling the buyer they need to contact the seller. The seller then tells the buyer they need to contact Woolies. Negative feedback usually ensues.

image host
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks kopenhagen. I don't like the sound of it at all and often laughed when seeing this on other sellers listings. Why would a supermarket accept other peoples packages, there is no logic to this and by what you've mentioned I won't be posting it to that silly address that the buyer has provided that looks like they have just mashed the keyboard with their hand (see line 3 of address). I can nothing but problems doing it this way, it's absurd.
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks countessalmirena. I have no idea when or where I've opted in for this. I would definitely remember if I did. Thanks for letting me know how to go about opting out of this ridiculous delivery option. I guess I'll be getting a neg, but that's life 🙂 I just hope no one chooses this option with the listings that are still live.
Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

In regards to that mash of letters and as countessalmirena mentioned it's a eCP code. That does not give me any more confidence in posting it there. The buyer hasn't contacted me so I'll contact them again explaining it to them and if they can't provide a valid Australian postal address I'll just refund the money, relist and move one. Thanks once again guys.
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Your choice.

I have no doubt you'll cop a neg. Buyers tend to get a bit agro when sellers renege on offers, especially when they are about legitimate delivery methods.

You might also like to know that as soon as the parcel is registered as received by the C&C point, it is deemed delivered.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

You don't have any choice but to post to the address that the buyer has selected.  It is a legitimate addressthat is endorsed by ebay.

How do you know that the buyer has any other address at the moment or not be at home to accept the parcel during business hours.

Just because you think it is silly for parcels to be delivered to BigW or Woolworths does not mean that other members think the same way.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks davewill1964 and lyndal1838 for your input.

I can see what you're explaining to me and I guess you're right. I'll try it this one time and see how it goes. I have opted out of C&C and it has applied it to the live listings as well which is good.

Is there a specific way to address the package or just how it's listed in my original post. Do I bold print the eCP and code? This is all new to me and I still don't feel confident in doing it this way but the way this place runs now as we all know, the buyer is always right.

Cheers.
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply