UNAUTHORISED PURCHASE

Has anyone had an authorised purchased recored for them recently, in other words a purchase that you did not make but appears to have been made in your name some how?

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

UNAUTHORISED PURCHASE

My account was hacked a few years ago by Russians.

Check that no other member of the family made the purchase then contact eBay.

And contact PayPal if payment was made.

image host
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

UNAUTHORISED PURCHASE

I just had a purchase recorded a couple of hours ago that I didn't make, ebay have since cancelled it, but I've since checked the seller and they only have one product, and they are selling lots of that one item, it says 33 in the last hour, I smell something fishy going on
Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

UNAUTHORISED PURCHASE

Sounds like a scammer.

But I would change your passwords if a purchase was made on your account.

And run a virus scan on your computer.

Don't ever click on links in emails, always go directly to the website to log in.

image host
Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

UNAUTHORISED PURCHASE

Thankfully I did all that last night ☺ , thanks for your advice though

I got an email this morning from ebay this morning to advise that,

"You were recently involved in a transaction for the following item:
253494681930 - Limited 1/64 HYPERCAR COLLECTION 1:64 PAGANI Zonda Cinque Roadster

We’re writing to let you know that an unauthorized third party may have accessed the seller’s account to list this item. The item has been removed from the site, and the transaction was cancelled

In this situation, your account was not accessed by the third party involved"

What concerns me though, is that if my account was not accessed how did this transaction happen

I kept an eye on the seller, and up until ebay removed the item from sale there were over 250 sales recorded for that item

How were these sales made if the the "seller" was not accessing the other accounts, I would be interested if anyone has any ideas on this

Cheers☺

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

UNAUTHORISED PURCHASE

There is a hacker buying things and changing the postal address for purchases.

If you get unknown purchases you need to call ebay and paypal immediately

Copy and paste from notice I saw

">>>>>> eBAY HACK ALERT <<<<<<

We have heard reports of hacking which took place today in the early hours of the morning (Sydney time) which may have affected a number of Australian eBay sellers.

We have been told the hackers may have gained access to sellers’ PayPal accounts through the link inside the eBay Seller Account Page where they have a linked PayPal Account for the automatic selling fee payment, and then purchase items from other eBay sellers using those eBay accounts after adding new delivery addresses.

Since it’s only where PayPal accounts are linked as the APM, it appears that purchases could only be made only from eBay seller accounts, with goods being redirected to newly entered addresses.

We understand PayPal has been made aware of the issue and has already been issuing automatic refunds to some transactions where it is obvious, but has no way of verifying many others.

Please check for any suspicious transactions from this morning, and especially where there are multiple purchases from the same buyer, and also to check your eBay account and PayPal accounts for any purchases made from either that they did not make or authorise.

If you do spot fraudulent transactions, please report them promptly to PayPal and eBay."

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

UNAUTHORISED PURCHASE

Thanks for that, but this one wasn't changing addresses as there was no "real" item being sold

They had as ebay explained;

"an unauthorized third party may have accessed the seller’s account to list this item"

And somehow they were making unauthorised purchases on members accounts as they did with mine and then paying for the item immediately via whatever method that member had linked to their ebay account mine being paypal

This is what happened

1. They somehow accessed a sellers account

2. They listed a bogus item that in reality did not exist

3. They then somehow were able to make purchases using mine and other members accounts

4. Then using those same members accounts they immediately paid for the item using that members linked payment method (mine was paypal)
5. They had the money and no item was actually for sale

It sounds like a very sophisticated operation

Ebay also advised

"In this situation, your account was not accessed by the third party involved"

But what concerns me is that if they hadn't accessed my account, how did they make the purchase using my account, as that purchase was showing in my account when I logged in to see what was going on, and in fact is still showing there now although as a cancelled purchase thanks to ebays action, and so was the payment information in paypal when I checked there

I guess that’s what I want to find out now, because if someone can do this without accessing my account to do so, how do I ensure that it doesn’t happen again

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

UNAUTHORISED PURCHASE

carma-7672
Community Member
How can I stop this payment
Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

UNAUTHORISED PURCHASE

carma-7672
Community Member
I want to stop this payment
Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

UNAUTHORISED PURCHASE

If you paid happychap two and a half years ago, it is probably too late.

If it's unrelated to this thread, which it seems to be, start a new one and provide some details.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply