Is giving feedback compulsory?

gaybay3
Community Member

Just wondering if it is compulsory as a buyer to give feedback to your sellers?  Just noticed someone bidding on an item I have for sale has not given any feedback to the various sellers.  Is it compulsory or just good manners?

View Entire Topic

As kopenhagen says, it's not compulsory.

According to eBay:

Why should I leave Feedback?
Spoiler

By leaving Feedback for a seller, you're telling them what you think. Equally important, you're letting other buyers know about your experience. Your feedback combines with others' to build a rich base of knowledge to help to find the best sellers every time you shop.

eBay's Feedback policies page:

My trading partner won't leave me Feedback. What should I do?
Spoiler

If you've successfully completed a transaction with another eBay member and they haven't left you Feedback, it's fine to send a message as a reminder. Remember though, leaving Feedback is completely voluntary.

Something to keep in mind: if you're buying from an eBay member who is relatively new, or has sold relatively few items, these sellers may stand in need of receiving positive feedback from satisfied customers for a number of reasons, including

• their being able to request that a "hold" of their funds in PayPal is lifted,
  • to increase buyer confidence so that buyers won't feel that there might be something wrong with the seller, and
  • to offset negative feedback which might be given, for instance, by a buyer who had unreasonable expectations; this is especially important if the seller is a low-volume seller, so that 1 negative brings the seller's feedback percentage down in a disproportionate way.

However, you are definitely not obliged to give feeback, either as a buyer or a seller.