why was I charged a foreign fee for a seller who claims they are australian

rhysnik
Community Member

Hi, 

My bank charged a foreign fee of 3% on a transaction where the seller claims they are Australian based and have an Australian bank account.

The invoice the seller sent me lists a PO Box and no ABN number. However, the seller upon my request has submitted an ABN number but trading under a differernt name.than wjhat was listed on the invoice.

I suspect the seller may be hiding hiding the fact they have an overseas account.  I have yet to speak to my bank to confirm this.

But according to available banking literature, the only way I can be charged a foreign fee is if I transact with an overseas account. Thus my concern and confusion.

This scenario is not the first time I have been charged a foreign fee.  However, the other seller was happy to refund the fee. But  this seller will not make such a gesture and suggested I take it up with e-bay and/or my bank. Basically, not interested in assisting me to resolve my issue.,

Can you please clarify -

1.the reason/s I get a separate charge on my credit card for a foreign fee when the seller states they are Australian based with an Austrlalian bank account?  

2. Should the seller fully disclose all charges for the transaction - such as: the buyer may be charged a foreign fee?

Any advice will be appreciated

Thanks 

View Entire Topic
lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Where is the seller registered?

It is not unusual for Chinese sellers to list items in Australia when they are really overseas.