Currently winning an item against a Shill bidder, is there no way to report the bidder?

This is the screenshot on the guy I am bidding against. IF this guy is not a shill bidder, I don't know what is. I mean look at his 30 day summary.

Problem is that I really want to win the item - but not for an inflated price. Is there no way to report this seller for inflating his prices but still get the item? Does ebay even do anything about this kind of stuff?

Capture.JPG

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Currently winning an item against a Shill bidder, is there no way to report the bidder?

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Without checking out the bidding history on the item, if you really want to win it then STOP bidding now and wait till the end of the auction.  Only bid in the last seconds of the auction and put in your highest bid.

By continuing to up your bids you are only forcing the price higher and higher.

You need to balance your desire to win with your desire to report the seller.   You can report shill bidding after the auction ends.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I have just looked at the bidding history and I really have my doubts that it is shill bidding.

The bidding history of the item you are winning is not typical shilling as you have never been outbid....the underbidder has stopped under your maximum and would not know your maximum as he has not retracted a bid on that item.

I have looked at many of the items finishing in the next few hours and that underbidder is not bidding on any of the items.

The only thing that really points to shill bidding is the number of bid retractions.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

I have no idea whether someone is trying to push you on to bid higher or not. Could be. or it might just be someone else who is after the item.

But I'll tell you this much-I wouldn't be happy to keep bidding. Tell you why. That other bidder is a serial retractor. Just look at his record-221 retractions in 6 months?

So even if he is not a shill bidder, I reckon there is a really high chance that if this bidder gets to the lead in the bidding, he will lose a bit of interest and retract his bid.

Leaving you as the winner. But guess what. In that scenario you have to ask yourself- If his last bid wasn't genuine, then how genuine were all the earlier bids?

Yet the price will have been pushed up. Ebay only deletes the last bid, not all of them.

Here's what you need to do-others have already told you but just in case you're in two minds.

Stop bidding.

Bid in the last hour-at the last minute if you can. There are special programs around you can sign up to (first 3 transactions free or first 2 weeks free offers etc) which will bid remotely for you. Do a google search-ebay snipe programs etc and several should come up. Join one. Pop in your max bid and it will bid in the closing seconds for you, even if you can't be there. It doesn't guarantee a win but what it does guarantee is you won't be in a bidding war with Mr Retraction.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Doesn't look like shilling.

The underbidder didn't continue bidding even when you have placed multiples bids in a row which isn't the wisest BTW.

As suggested, better to place one high bid with seconds left.

These types of items are collectable and the bid history is not surprising on these types, except the retractions.

Congrats, you won it.

image host
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

I wonder whether that bidder does it deliberately to try and put other bidders off when they really want the item? I'd be inclined to play them at their own game and do a few bid retractions myself. No, I've never retracted a bid, just saying I'd be really tempted to if I was in this sort of situation.
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply