Does PayPal ask you for your bank account numbers for ID?

I was trying to make payment through PayPal a few minutes ago and it asked my bank account numbers to confirm my identity.

It was not eBay purchase. So I cancelled it and didn't complete check out and payment.

I've bought from eBay and from many other site using PayPal from a few dollars item to $600 items. This is the first time I was asked to provide my bank details.

I'm wondering if it's just me or it happens to other people. Getting many fake PayPal emails lately. A bit worried.

Does PayPal ask you for your bank account numbers for ID?

Photobucket
Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Does PayPal ask you for your bank account numbers for ID?

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Have you ever had a verified bank account attached to your paypal account syrups?

If not, then yes at some stage you will be asked to verify a bank account.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Lyndal, I've just logged in and checked my status.

My PayPal account is verified. It says so.

I think my bank account is verified too because PayPal deposited small amount of money and I had to tell them how much they put in through their link when I connected PayPal to my bank a few years ago.

It is strange they all sudden want to confirm my ID. I receive payment daily in PayPal account. I do buy a few things using PayPal every month too.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Were you trying to make the payment direct from your paypal account or through a link on the site you were buying from? If the former I would think it was OK but would probably call Paypal anyway, if the latter I would definitely call Paypal straight away to ask if it was them and if not to let them know this site was trying to rip people off using their name.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

It was through the site. But I've bought from them so many times before and didn't have any problem in past. It's Australian registered business. So I don't think they are trying to rip me off.

I will contact PayPal and ask about it.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

The same thing happened to me yesterday, I had clicked the link from ebay veiw  Paypal transaction  when I was logging onto Paypal  it come up and wouldn't let me do anything else so I closed  the page. 

I tried again later at night and all was good, so I have no idea... 🙂

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

It has never happened to me through the eBay link. At the very beginning it asked me to verify the account, but this is normal of course.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

A little update.

I've sent PayPal email inquiry this morning and got a reply this afternoon. This is a part of the reply.

Having checked your account, I see that you are indeed being asked by our system to verify your identity through your bank account. This is a random verification done to ensure you are authorizing a payment to be made through PayPal.

Once you have entered your bank account number, you will be able to proceed with the checkout.

So it was PayPal not the site.

Photobucket
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

I meant to make middle two paragraph italic and forgot. That was the email part.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply