Ebay Commiting fraud on postage charges?

I brought an Item for ~100 and postage was stated at roughly ~15

Then once I brought the item an extra 6 dollars(as a extra charge) was added for Pitney browns(A company Ebay has made an agreement with in TOS and it seems kinda shady) Stating Import duty.... which doesnt apply in Australia for items under 1000 but at anyrate.

Thats the claim...

Paypal Claims its not an unauthorised transaction despite more money being taken out of my account then the item+postage supposedly costing.

Meanwhile Ebay claims that I ONLY paid the original price on the recently brought items section leaving out the extra 6 dollars for "IMPORT" duty.

Which I provided to Paypal as evidence.

There is NOTHING on the item or in postage section for it that states an extra charge will apply.

In Ebays TOS there is a section for Pitney Browns and yet it specificly states weapons(knives) are not eligible for the service.

I contact the seller about the excess charge BEFORE they sent the item, and they ignored me and then replied Thanks for the Purchase after they had sent in a few days later(direct reply to my message it was included in the reply)

So exactly how is it legal for extra unknown, unstated charge to be applied for Pitney Browns by ebay.

Since Paypal/Ebay are the same company.. and since both take a cut.. and since Pitney Browns will obviously ALSO be providing them with a CUT.

Millions of Items a year overcharged could equal a billion dollars profit though excess charges.

Can anyone explain how its fair or honest because I sure as hell cant see it.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Once you paid it you were stuck with it. The time to query anything is before you pay.

It is within Paypal's terms and conditions that a seller can pass on currency conversion charges when a credit card is used and if they specifically say that only US bank account holders can pay without incurring an extra charge why did you go ahead and pay through Paypal. If they accept credit card payments direct you should have phoned them up and paid by card over the phone.

Anyway whatever the ins and outs, and nothing is clear from your post, you are stuck with the six bucks extra.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Do you mean Pitney Bowes?

They are an international sorting and mailing facility, so I assume the seller would have to pay for their service.

As their original listing is for posting to the USA only I would think that they charge more for posting overseas.  It is nothing to do with ebay...the transaction is between you and the seller.

Are you sure you can even import those knives into Australia?

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

This is not credit card surcharge or conversion fees.

Direct debit though paypal was applied and conversion fees by paypal is 1-3% and already TAKEN out in the conversion process.

Pitney Browns since the end of october is "EMPLOYED" by Ebay check Ebays updated TOS.

Only specific Items are supposed to apply to the Pitney Browns service ebay provides to "Sellers"

1.In this case the item doesnt its a weapon(knife)

2.The price Ebay gave and the total it took out are different.

3.The Total Ebay says was paid and what was taken out are different.

4.Neither the items description OR the Items postage information tab mention ANYTHING about extra fees.

5.The charge is added ON as its own charge ontop of postage and specificly states import duty.

Import duty DOES not apply in Australia for items under 1000 in value, secondly the sender doesnt pay the duty fee anyways I do when I collect the item assuming it applied.

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

item postage states

US $15.32(approx. AU $14.86) - International Priority Shipping to Australia.

One assumes that means the price I would pay for shipping to Australia.. 6 dollars DOESNT bother me so much as the taking of 6 dollars without permission.

Yes I mean Pitney Bowes I have dyslexia and can use the wrong wording, sorry about that.

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

You've probably just blown your money anyway, I doubt your knives will even make it past customs; you'll also get a letter and most likely be on their "watch list" for any future overseas purchases

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

I think import duty applies to your purchase because it's a knife. I found one site saying it's about 5% of the item value.

I think you should check that with custom. I couldn't find the exact site for it.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

Since customs states bowies are allowed to be imported without restriction I dont expect a problem.

If so I dont care and will just buy it from Australia.

Only reason I was buying it from the US as it is supposed to have the companion knife included while Australian versions on ebay no longer do.

its also besides the point if customs will seize it, its action of taking more money then the stated cost/sum.

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

Import duty of 5% on knives only applies on shipments ABOVE 1000 dollars.

As does ALL IMPORTduty in Australia.

They really need a edit function

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

Quite possibly there is an extra export charge for any type of weapon leaving the US just as until recently there was a nine dollar surcharge on any parcel over 500g being sent from Aus to the US.

Who knows, you paid it and by doing so accepted it. You should have refused to pay until you got an adequate explanation and if one wasn't forthcoming then any subsequent unpaid item strike would almost certainly have been removed.

Neither ebay nor Paypal can do anything after you have agreed to pay the extra.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 24
Latest reply