Ebay Sellers Delivery dates:

jcut6405
Community Member

I recently had a purchase, where the seller had a estimated  delivery date which was not met, when I enquired I was informed they were away, and the Ebay ad had been flagged.

I looked at the Ad and yes there was a small print note high on the left hand corner of the ad, whilst the estimated delivery date was clearly evident in bold large print. below the item for sale

As a result I cancelled the order as instead of having to wait 7 days to receive it would have been 30 days.

This was an annoying waste of my time.

Why does Ebay allow absent sellers to list and item for sale with an Estimated delivery date prominently shown, when the seller has no intention of meeting this delivery time.

Why is a seller even allowed to list on Ebay at a time when they are away and cannot despatch the goods as advertised on the Ebay site.

I believe Ebay needs to have a look at this practice, if they wish to retain their buyers.

Message 1 of 76
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

jcut

Could you please contact ebay and tell them of the issues you just experienced and ask them if they can be more accurate with the delivery date estimate info THEY PUT THERE to make it less issues for the seller to have to deal with buyers that blame sellers for EBAY'S choices and cause the sellers who have done NOTHING wrong to lose out on sales.

Much appreciated by all sellers on ebay if you can get the issue fixed for us all 🙂

Thanks in advance 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 76
Latest reply

Thanks, that was the point I was trying to make, I understand Australia Post Delays, but if the seller doesn't intend posting an item for 20 days after the order is placed , if the seller is able to adjust the handling time on Ebay to reflect the delay then the buyer would be able to make an informed choice. NB: It appears, that the Ebay sellers who have replied to my post are not aware of this capability, which would resolve the issue I raised.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 76
Latest reply
75 REPLIES 75

Ebay themselves insert the estimated delivery dates

Ebay's estimated delivery dates are guesses, stuff of fantasy land and they are very well aware of this

Ebay also determine the size of the font for the dates THEY insert

I just had a look at one of the seller's listing and there is a VERY clear banner across the top of the page stating they are away until 30th January

Message 2 of 76
Latest reply

jcut

Could you please contact ebay and tell them of the issues you just experienced and ask them if they can be more accurate with the delivery date estimate info THEY PUT THERE to make it less issues for the seller to have to deal with buyers that blame sellers for EBAY'S choices and cause the sellers who have done NOTHING wrong to lose out on sales.

Much appreciated by all sellers on ebay if you can get the issue fixed for us all 🙂

Thanks in advance 🙂

Message 3 of 76
Latest reply

In the feedback you leave for sellers nearly all mentions "promp delivery" or "delivery as advertised" etc. As the others have said sellers have NO control over delivery times - only their own handling times, and it's eBay that puts in the "estimated" ETA's - which often have no relevance to actual delivery times.

eBay should never have started making their own estimates in the first place - they are a selling and buying platform NOT a postal service.

To assess sellers on those parameters is very unfair indeed.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 76
Latest reply

Sellers do not own of control Australia Post or their delivery times as many buyers seem to think. We Sellers are tired of complaints re delivery times and bad star ratings even when items are posted within an hour, because said item had to travel across the entire country and did not arrive quickly enough for the buyer. Some buyers will not even wait as long as the "estimated date of arrival" before complaining.  Estimated, means "estimated"  put up by eBay, not the Sellers. In the case of the Seller being away, this is usually an obvious message at the top of the listing, and you can't complain if you did not look or see it. The estimated date should have been removed by eBay, and this you can complain about, but PLEASE complain to THEM, not to the many hard working sellers who try their very best and cannot please some customers no matter how hard they try.

Message 5 of 76
Latest reply

eBay decides where to show the seller's holiday notification & in what size print.
They also calculate the estimated delivery date & where & in what size print to show it.
Sellers have no say in the estimated delivery date, & no control over Australia Post's delivery times.
Please stop blaming the sellers for things beyond their control.
Please also read ALL of the listing, not just the title.
Message 6 of 76
Latest reply

As a buyer I am after an easy to read format in which there is no confusion as to estimated delivery date. The current format does not do that, and whilst a buyer may say they are absent, it does not indicate the actual delivery date. Only one delivery date should appear on the ad,ie: the actual date the buyer can expect to receive the goods.
Message 7 of 76
Latest reply

I have already contacted Ebay on this matter, but I believe it is up to the Sellers to also voice there concern, rather than accept an unacceptable situation
Message 8 of 76
Latest reply

I agree the seller should be the sole source estimating the delivery time, as it is in the best interest of both seller and buyer to have an accurate estimate to avoid any misunderstanding. Then the seller can be fairly judged by the buyer.
Message 9 of 76
Latest reply

Not the seller's (any seller's) fault how ebay set up the page

Seller's have no control over that

There is a banner going right across the top of those listing saying the seller is away until Jan 30th

If someone chooses not the read the entire listing, or chooses to ignore something on the listing that is not the fault of the seller who has been up front about being away

Right there, regardless of anything else (which yes, is flawed due to EBAY'S flaws) tells you and all potential buyers right up front the seller is away

Nothing is going to be sent until they return. It should not need to be said elsewhere and a seller most certainly does not deserve a neg because someone chooses to buy anyway

Nobody can indicate a delivery date. The is up to Australia Post as to what 'speed' / time they take to do their job

That is why the 'estaimated delivery date' EBAY puts on everybody's listings needs to be done away with, because again, seller's get blamed for ebay's nonsense

(Many,many, many sellers have complained to ebay about it. Ebay do not care so long as they get their fees)

Message 10 of 76
Latest reply