Ebay sellers breaking australian consumer laws when some goods sold are not fit for purpose.why?

I recenty bought a product thst lasted 20 seconds before it broke...ebay did not honour australian consumer law which states that a item must be fit for purpose...it clesrly wasnt..... how are they getting away with this? Has this happened  to anybody else? Anybody taken ebay to consumer affairs? What was the outcome? 

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Ebay sellers breaking australian consumer laws when some goods sold are not fit for purpose.why?

@imastawkawrote:

OP's fb left for others.     wow smiley.gif

Ermagerd, that one is going straight to the party room.

image host
Message 11 of 40
Latest reply

from what everyone else has mentioned - it's easy to see from your "feedback left for others" that the problem lies with you, not the sellers. 

i've never seen a buyer who has had so many problems in such a short period of time and also such a horrible attitude. 

Message 12 of 40
Latest reply

@itsjohnny1wrote:

.ebay did not honour australian consumer law which states that a item must be fit for purpose..

In addition to what everyone else has said... Consumer laws don't apply to every transaction.

They apply if the seller is a registered Australian business, outside of that the protections are significantly more limited. 

Fit for purpose also has a very specific meaning, and a lot of people misinterpret it (not saying you did in these circumstances, just that it's very common for people to think that because they couldn't use a product the way they wanted to, the goods are "not fit for purpose", when that is not the case at all). 

It may be pedantic, but it sounds more like (if ACL indeed applies to this transaction) it contravened "must be of acceptable quality", presuming the goods were being used as intended  / instructed, since if they were not, consumers often don't have recourse at all (eg if you use a screwdriver to try and dislodge something and it breaks, while someone could be upset that it broke easily, tough luck because it wasn't being used as a screwdriver and that doesn't automatically mean it wasn't fit for purpose nor that it wasn't of acceptable quality for a screwdriver). 

Message 13 of 40
Latest reply

@lm-entertainmentwrote:

from what everyone else has mentioned - it's easy to see from your "feedback left for others" that the problem lies with you, not the sellers. 

i've never seen a buyer who has had so many problems in such a short period of time and also such a horrible attitude. 

He certainly goes for the jugular but it seems to be spread out over a fair bit of time as that first page of 25 feedback seems to go back to 2009. But I'd agree, if a person's transactions on ebay are usually not working out well, then they need to buy elsewhere, maybe other online places or garage sales, somewhere they can examine before they buy, make sure they are happy.

Message 14 of 40
Latest reply

Contact Consumer Affairs. Ebay can't get away with this unless they are allowed to. If the item is new and unused, then your issue is valid. This kind of consumer protection doesn't seem to exist in most other countries, but it does here, so Ebay needs to come to understand that. They think nobody will take action, that's all.

Message 15 of 40
Latest reply

Ebay is a farce when its good its good...when its bad its very bad...i dont bother to,leave feedback these days for that reason, i only leave negative feeback ..hence all the negative  stuff you saw. I like buying on ebay and most transactions are ok ... but the ones i have left feedback for are shockers 

Message 16 of 40
Latest reply

Thanks for that deep insight. Lol

if you look the feeback is over a period of time .. i only bother to leave negative feedback because ebay is a farce.. most transactions are fine but the ones i left negative feeback for were shockers. 🙂 

Message 17 of 40
Latest reply

Thanks it wasnt the case
Message 18 of 40
Latest reply

Right on mate
Message 19 of 40
Latest reply

Oh of course you know exactly why i left the feedback i did dont you? 

People that deliberately rip people off deserve feedback like that when they dont answer emails ,dont co,operate at all and generally couldnt care less about lying..hence my feeback

mostbtransaction on ebay are fine,.. it just these few poor souls who make ebay a bad place for everybody and generally ebay let them get away with it,thats why i only leave feedback for the bad ones 🙂 

Message 20 of 40
Latest reply