Full GST even after coupon is applied?

So I don't usually use the coupons the big ones they advertise are only for seller and items that have been marked up to compensate (which is illegal but somehow it's allowed on eBay). But I noticed with the more generic coupon I just used I was charged the GST (sorry the item was overseas) on the original sale price not the price after the coupon was applied. That would imply to me eBay is making free money. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?
Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

That is ridiculous......the scenarios are not the same at all.

A discount and a gift card are vastly different and Bunnings prices already include GST as they are an Australian company, not an overseas company.

If you are not happy just pay the full price and don't use your discount voucher.

Message 11 of 21
Latest reply

I don't see your point. Shipping is irrelevant here. I was not explicitly charged for it. Nor was I taxed on it. Being worked into the product cost is completely irrelevant to what I'm am saying here.

And that makes sense about the promotions and it's possible all these sales or coupons I have seen have been a similar thing because I have noticed many times price changes (increase) when there are promotions. Another example. EBay is currently having a '20% off tech sale' (25% eBay plus which I'm trialling for a month) I thought cool I'll take a look. Phones that were $1800 are now $2500. Even confirmed with price statistics of previous purchases of the item. 

Message 12 of 21
Latest reply

I have no idea why your so defensive of ebay and I really don't understand your logic. 

So let's break this Down

Let's say an item is $5

I have a 10% off coupon

I checkout and it adds 10% gst being an overseas item

Yes the shipping is 'free' as it was worked into the product cost and not my problem. 

So at checkout my $5 item becomes $5.50 with gst

I use my 10% off coupon bringing the items cost to $4.50 FOR ME

But gst is still at 50 cents. But I'm only paying $4.50. Shouldnt I only get taxed 45 cents? I'm not paying $5 so why should I be paying 50cents gst. The discount ebay supplies is there problem. Not mine. The amount they provide the seller with is not relevant to me. I only paid $4.50 so I should only be taxed on that. The rest is eBay's problem. I'm paying tax on the discount they provide? Which also leads me to sure if I'm not happy don't use them. But they are there why not take advantage of them? But in taking advantage of them, I would expect the figures to line up. 

Message 13 of 21
Latest reply

All I can suggest is to ring ebay and ask them to explain it to you if you do not understand what I am saying.

The amount being paid to the overseas seller is $5 on which GST has to be paid.  Ebay thinks that if they are giving you 10% of the amount then you should at least pay the GST.

Message 14 of 21
Latest reply

But ebay are paying the 10% discount to the seller on your behalf.  The discount has been offered to you the buyer, to use with what ever seller you choose.  If you bought the item in Australia, you would have received the 10% discount  and no additional GST would apply.  As You chose to use the discount to shop overseas, you still receive the 10% discount, but as stated earlier the discount is not for 10% plus GST, so you are liable for the GST on the full price paid to the seller.

Why should your 10% discount    equal 10% in Australia  but  10% plus GST if used overseas.

Message 15 of 21
Latest reply

That last comment actually makes more sense to me. Which essentially what was said earlier I just wasent listening. I suppose I am used to purchasing in Australia so a 10% discount is a 10% discount not essentially a 9% discount when used with overseas sellers. While I do find it hard to wrap my head around  I suppose because this tax on low value imports is just new to me and being in retail 10% is 10% including the tax. So I'm just applying that logic here. 

Message 16 of 21
Latest reply

The GST on low value imported items is new to everyone.....we all have to get used to it and understand it.

Message 17 of 21
Latest reply

@itzenterprises wrote:

That last comment actually makes more sense to me. Which essentially what was said earlier I just wasent listening. I suppose I am used to purchasing in Australia so a 10% discount is a 10% discount not essentially a 9% discount when used with overseas sellers. While I do find it hard to wrap my head around  I suppose because this tax on low value imports is just new to me and being in retail 10% is 10% including the tax. So I'm just applying that logic here. 

Just received an ebay email, offering a discount.  Message includes  'Please note that GST may apply on imported goods

Message 18 of 21
Latest reply

YES. , Thats what happened to me. How can you be charged GST on an amount you aren't paying. Only $4.50 was charged to you, you paid $4.50 so how cane bay charge Bay on the 50cents they didn't collect from you. If a Store offers me $20 off a $100 RRP , I only pay GST on the $80 I hand over, not the $100. Seems wrong by Ebay.
Message 19 of 21
Latest reply

Here's a thread that addresses it - https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/Import-GST-charge-calculation-based-on-pre-discount-price-th...

Here's a CURRENT thread about it - https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/GST-with-discount-coupons/m-p/2206379#M97379

It even has, courtesy of the countess, relevant eBay T&Cs and ATO rulings.

Message 20 of 21
Latest reply