GST Refund...

oonoh
Community Member

Have paid for an Overseas transaction, but the seller has chosen to supply the goods from an Australian Outlet.

Ebay has already taken the GST for the transaction, but as goods are being supplied within Australia the GST should be refunded.. correct.

So how does one contact Ebay for a refund of which they no longer have any right to retain.

Thank you all for you time and understanding on this matter

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: GST Refund...

Contact eBay through “help” link above and choose the contact method that suits you best.

It’s an interesting question regarding the GST, but I would agree with Digi’s thoughts. If the item was already imported, the seller will be paying GST there...and for you to pay it via eBay, is doubling up on it.

That would be an approach to take. Best case scenario eBay understands you paid it as item was listed as overseas, then wasn’t.

That they should refund you that payment on the grounds that the seller will have been the importer, and paid any appropriate taxes/duties.

They may offer you a discretionary refund, even if they don’t get what the point is, if you stand firm.

As eBay has taken the GST automatically based on it being shipped into Australia by you, I’d argue a refund is due.

(I was thinking about a related issue just today- if a seller cancels out an overseas sale to me, does eBay then automatically refund the GST they take, or do they not? They should)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

You still need to pay GST either way.

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

@eol-products wrote:

You still need to pay GST either way.

Do they, though?

It's the item location that determines whether GST is payable, because if they're OS then it's an import.

If the goods have already been imported, domestic GST rules usually apply, which would eliminate eBay from the equation. 

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

If the money has gone overseas than I would imagine GST needs charging. If the funds went to an Australian bussiness than no. Not sure if the effort would be worth the 10% but first call would be Tax department I gather.

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

If it's an Australian business then yes the GST will be charged.

I run a business in AU and I charge GST.

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

Not all Australian businesses have to charge GST and it is illegal if you are not registered for GST and not required below 75 000  turnover.

The question is if the funds go overseas but the goods are supplied locally what then. 

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

That's the point you don't know if that seller is registered for GST so you can't say that they can't charge it.

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

@eol-products wrote:

If the money has gone overseas than I would imagine GST needs charging. If the funds went to an Australian bussiness than no. 

If that were the case, though, eBay would apply GST based on seller location, not item location.

If GST is applied to imports, and an item has already been imported, the GST on that import should have already been paid by whoever did the importing. 

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

Contact eBay through “help” link above and choose the contact method that suits you best.

It’s an interesting question regarding the GST, but I would agree with Digi’s thoughts. If the item was already imported, the seller will be paying GST there...and for you to pay it via eBay, is doubling up on it.

That would be an approach to take. Best case scenario eBay understands you paid it as item was listed as overseas, then wasn’t.

That they should refund you that payment on the grounds that the seller will have been the importer, and paid any appropriate taxes/duties.

They may offer you a discretionary refund, even if they don’t get what the point is, if you stand firm.

As eBay has taken the GST automatically based on it being shipped into Australia by you, I’d argue a refund is due.

(I was thinking about a related issue just today- if a seller cancels out an overseas sale to me, does eBay then automatically refund the GST they take, or do they not? They should)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

@amber-eyed-girl wrote:

If eBay's cancellation process is used, they do, but not outside of that (kinda weird, really, because ebay still knows if a PayPal refund has been issued). 

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply