How to I get my money back from a seller who advertised a book which he didn't have. Wont refund!

Some weeks ago I bought a book advertised on Ebay by a seller in USA. Paid the seller the stated price + postage. Next I receive a message from the seller: VERY sorry but the item is not available, don't know how it came to be still listed on Ebay, etc., etc., etc. Of course the seller will refund me the money ($37.00 Australian, including postage), etc. Another message: Seller asks how I want my refund?!  Cheque, international bank deposit? Paypal, etc., etc., etc!!! Very apologetic when it turns out that he can do NONE of the above!!!!!!!

So, it looks like an IMPASSE? Complicated by the Seller confiding in me that he is RETIRING from Ebay! "Take the money and run" sprang to mind??? Perhaps I am being a little harsh, but to me the whole incident smells just a tad "ratty".

Anyway, is there anything that Ebay can do here, bearing in mind that the Seller may have vamoosed?

I'm posting this here because I have been unable to find an email address for Ebay! Just FAQs of all shapes and sizes!! But nothing of much use to me.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

How to I get my money back from a seller who advertised a book which he didn't have. Wont refund!

As suggested just open a case for INR as soon as you can.

Unless the seller provides online proof of postage or delivery, you will get the full refund.

But really all the seller has to do is log into PayPal and hit the refund button. It takes 1 minute.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Hopefully you paid with Paypal.

If so, we suggest you open an "item not received" case through Ebay's resolution centre.

That way you won't have to chase the seller as Ebay will do it for you.
Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

As suggested just open a case for INR as soon as you can.

Unless the seller provides online proof of postage or delivery, you will get the full refund.

But really all the seller has to do is log into PayPal and hit the refund button. It takes 1 minute.

image host
Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If it is the book you have left negative feedback for you have lost a lot more than $37......the shipping alone via the GSP is over $39.

As has been said.....open a dispute as soon as you can.  If it is too late for an ebay dispute go for a paypal dispute.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

raygurr_0
Community Member
I want to be reffund
Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Why do you want a refund?

Is there something wrong with the item or has it not arrived?

You need to give a lot more detail if you want helpful advice.....the responders here are not mind readers.

If you start a new thread instead of dragging up this old one you will get more help....many reponders don't read these old threads.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

@raygurr_0 wrote:
I want to be reffund

You aren't talking to ebay here. We are just other buyers.

And even if we were ebay reps, I'd say we would need more details, such as what item number you want a refund for, and why. It's a formal process you will need to go through. Maybe claiming for item not received, or item received but not as described. Just posting a message-even to ebay-won't do it for you.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

what's further ratty, is the replies you got; like this one

"why do you want a refund... is there something wrong with the book?"

I mean **bleep**, did they (Lynda...) read that YOU ARE NOT RECEIVING THE BOOK BECAUSE THE SELLER 
CONCEDED THEY 'ACCIDENTLY TOOK YOUR MONEY FOR SOMETHING NOT AVAILABLE? 

While we both know the answer is NO,

you & I now have actual proof that this ebay COMMUNITY FORUM IS

NOTHING MORE THAN AN EBAY FRONT,

LITTERED WITH EBAY WORKERS EMPLOYED TO SHUT-DOWN DISPUTES 

BY REFERRING US TO EBAY's USELESS T&C's.

What an absolute joke.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

@vandegraaff8 wrote:

what's further ratty, is the replies you got; like this one

"why do you want a refund... is there something wrong with the book?"

I mean **bleep**, did they (Lynda...) read that YOU ARE NOT RECEIVING THE BOOK BECAUSE THE SELLER 
CONCEDED THEY 'ACCIDENTLY TOOK YOUR MONEY FOR SOMETHING NOT AVAILABLE? 

While we both know the answer is NO,

you & I now have actual proof that this ebay COMMUNITY FORUM IS

NOTHING MORE THAN AN EBAY FRONT,

LITTERED WITH EBAY WORKERS EMPLOYED TO SHUT-DOWN DISPUTES 

BY REFERRING US TO EBAY's USELESS T&C's.

What an absolute joke.

Lyndal was replying to raygurr_0 NOT the "Opening poster" of the thread. And for your information the replies given to the OP were to open a dispute in either eBay or Paypal, so they were certainly not trying to shut down disputes (or employed by eBay).

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

yeah, true. I stand to be corrected. However that rethink doesnt apply to Lyndal calling me time waster... on the board where you also replied. That kind of reply is completely inappropriate & insesitive. but hey, keep jumping to the defence of your select ebay status-quo defenders.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply