Instant refund when queried postage time

Hi all, ordered an item from Germany, cost was $130AUD. When it failed to show up 3 weeks after the estimated delivery date, I sent the seller a message requesting confirmation of the postage date. Within hours they simply refunded the total payment with no other explanation. I fear that the item was never even sent, and they simply had fun with my money for 6 weeks and just waited until I messaged before doing anything. They have 98% positive, with the only thing being a neutral that wasn't really warrented anyway. I just find this one strange. Normally the reply is'' could you please wait a few more days, and if the item doesn't arrive let us know''. The refund came too easily for me to believe it was even sent in the first place.

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

That's great.

Maybe just an honest seller knowing you will repay when it arrives. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

Did you send a direct message, or use one of the menu items related to non-delivery? (It sounds like you sent a message, but I just wanted to clarify as I wouldn't blame the seller for the insta-refund if a request was opened and they couldn't confirm delivery - I've done it myself several times, despite having sent 100% of the disputed purchases, and I don't always communicate with the buyer beforehand, either. It mostly depends on the accompanying message, though I wouldn't ignore a request for confirmation of the postage date).

You mention they have 98% fb but only one neutral? Neuts don't affect a seller's percentage, so there must be a neg or two (unless I've misunderstood what you meant). 

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

i had a couple of items from a chinese seller not turn up, i meesaged them the last day arival was expected, said no show could i get a refund. it wasnt a claim for no delivery, just a request in a normal 'contact seller' message.

got a refund within 24hrs.

usually chinese sellers beg for more time.

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

Yes, I am happy to get the instant refund without a battle, but I really needed the item and if I had known I would have purchased elsewhere, which I have now had to do. This has caused me a delay that I could have done without. I did send an ''item has not arrived'' message to the seller, but stated I still wanted the item, and just to confirm postage details. Next minute I get a refund which tells me it was never sent. If they had made an error with the ''sent'' advice, I would have still waited a little longer to get the item, we are all human and sometimes we slip up. They do have one neg on their account. Hard to follow for an otherwise good seller.

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

If you clicked on Contact Seller, then selected the item didn't arrive option, you have opened a dispute. As already mentioned, if that's what happened, the seller couldn't prove delivery, so refunded so as not to end up with a defect out of it if you escalated it. It doesn't mean it wasn't sent, just means they are trying to save their account (Germany can be super quick......or painfully slow. It may still turn up.)

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

Thanks for that. Yes, they did supply a German tracking number, which makes me think they are genuine enough, but it cant be tracked once it leaves their country. If I could prove it left Germany, it could have been different. I wouldn't like to lose that sort of money either, but I couldn't afford to buy the same item twice, so had to ask the question with them.

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

@audistarelectronics wrote:

Thanks for that. Yes, they did supply a German tracking number, which makes me think they are genuine enough, but it cant be tracked once it leaves their country. If I could prove it left Germany, it could have been different. 

Did you try any of the tracking services at all? 

I have found this one works quite well................

https://www.17track.net/en

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

gec2002
Community Member

They may not have had the item in stock.  If they cancel because of lack of stock, they get a strike, as it considered by eBay as one of the worse things you can do.  Get too many (>0.5%) "Transactions you cancelled for being out of stock Defects" and your off ebay.  So as an alternative they say it was sent and as soon as you claim you didn't get it, they refund.  No Defect, and the worst that can happen is a negative, not good but no were as bad as a defect and being being kicked off ebay.  

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

Thank you, have tried that tracking, and many others, nothing on their systems. The seller was showing stock when I purchased, and still of today is showing stock, bit strange to show that if they have none left. They are learning slow IMO.

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply