PayPal or eBay or seller issue ?

I've just paid for something from the UK....only it appears I haven't.

The first thing I noticed was my purchase was under Unpaid Items.

So I logged on to PayPal and it said the payment went through but was immediately refunded (it shows the correct order amount - to UK and refunded to me).

So I went back to eBay and brought up the order and found this message:This order was not successful. Order cost has not been included in the total amount.  Under sub total it says Not Available and under Total it's $00.00.

Before I make any payments I copy the order into a word document and save it.  All the information was correct including that the cost WAS included.  BTW the seller definitely sells to Oz - it was listed in AU currency.  Postage was free.

I've NEVER seen this before.  What do I do now?

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: PayPal or eBay or seller issue ?

It sounds  like the same glitch that kept occurring for a few weeks last year, and if so it's definitely not a seller issue.

eBay and PayPal both blamed the other, and I can't really be sure one way or the other, but I suspect an eBay cart problem because nearly all of the orders where this happened to my buyers, nothing ever showed up on my eBay sold items at all (so they didn't BIN then try to pay), I never got item sold notifications either, but I did get PayPal payment received notifications for some reason, then when I checked my account, all I saw was a bunch of reversed payments (i.e. I tend to think if it failed at the PayPal end, the purchase would remained confirmed on eBay and the payment shown as refunded). And also because in PayPal, the entire payment was reversed, including the 30c flagfall, which doesn't usually happen on refunds. 

It also only seemed to affect the same select few buyers (maybe one buyer in every 30, and they would often try many times before being able to get a purchase and payment to go through).

I would first check with the seller what is showing on their end, and if you re-purchase and used the cart last time, try using BIN then checkout. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

It sounds  like the same glitch that kept occurring for a few weeks last year, and if so it's definitely not a seller issue.

eBay and PayPal both blamed the other, and I can't really be sure one way or the other, but I suspect an eBay cart problem because nearly all of the orders where this happened to my buyers, nothing ever showed up on my eBay sold items at all (so they didn't BIN then try to pay), I never got item sold notifications either, but I did get PayPal payment received notifications for some reason, then when I checked my account, all I saw was a bunch of reversed payments (i.e. I tend to think if it failed at the PayPal end, the purchase would remained confirmed on eBay and the payment shown as refunded). And also because in PayPal, the entire payment was reversed, including the 30c flagfall, which doesn't usually happen on refunds. 

It also only seemed to affect the same select few buyers (maybe one buyer in every 30, and they would often try many times before being able to get a purchase and payment to go through).

I would first check with the seller what is showing on their end, and if you re-purchase and used the cart last time, try using BIN then checkout. 

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

I've sent a message to the seller.

I had the item in the cart because it's often the best way to check if you want ot buy more than one item and the other item is different and might include postage, you can get an idea what the final postage is.  However I changed my mind and decided to buy just the one item with free postage and so I removed it from the cart, as I prefer to just use the checkout.  There was definitely nothing in the cart when I paid for the item.

HOWEVER....after I paid for the purchase and was back on My eBay I noticed the item was back in the cart.  I've removed it again and the cart is again empty.

If buyers tried many many times to make a purchase last time, I think I'll wait and see if the seller replies or until later tonight....which ever comes first.  He's got more than one of the items to sell.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

The glitch (or whatever it was) appears to be resolved.

The seller replied and said the order went through but eBay said it was 'incomplete'.

Luckily, if you send a message to the seller about an 'unpaid' item the message includes a Pay Now box that takes you to the checkout.  I've now paid and received confirmation emails from eBay and PayPal.

I hope this doesn't happen again!

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply